Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Critique of Ann Patchett’s work

After reading chapter one of Ann Patchett’s “Truth and Beauty” I can say that I definitely enjoyed the level of detail put into the characters in the story. The way the main character explained Lucy gave me such a great understanding of who she was and the kind of life that she faced, but that changes after the main character end up being roommates and completely changes the way I viewed her character. The way it is presented helps me see that the main character and Lucy are finally seen as friends, and keeps me invested in what will happen next because Lucy’s life is described in such an interesting way. If I had a question, it would be How does the main character view Lucy’s sex life, and how it’s correlated with love? The way the main character explains it is from a narrative perspective and while it gives me a lot of knowledge about Lucy, I feel like would have been even more invested to see how knowing this changes the main characters thinking, and how it affects her and Lucy’s friendship.

1. Zaire Lancaster

Great point made Eamon, I agree with your appreciation of the level of detail put into the story, specifically the character development part.
    From a shy sometimes cold personality as classmates to a warm, welcoming and adventurous personality, Lucy goes through an emotional large shift also changing the way I view her character. She grows as a person from college to living with the main character getting more from life and gaining more confidence all possibly from her first intimate experience.
    Regarding your questions I too believe that the main character believes lucy is confusing her sexual desire for love, as she goes after men who remind her of her first “boyfriend”. Instead of love, she seeks to relive that experience going through an endless circle.