Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Alexsis Arvelo, Critique on Leguin

Ursula Leguin tells the story of a wolf that learns her husband is a human after he would consistently sneak away and be gone for hours. Leguin does a great job of making the tone of the story sound mysterious. As I was reading it I felt intrigued to find out where her husband was going and before finding out what was really going on with him, I thought her husband was cheating on her. Leguin gives a backstory of her husband which is helpful because this helps readers understand how the husband’s demeanor changes as the story progresses. I like how the author gave detailed descriptions because it helped me visualize the scenes in my mind. I also enjoyed how she used dialogue and descriptive words when telling the story because it helped move the story along and it didn’t get boring. I wonder how or when the children found out their dad was a human because they were scared of him and we didn’t know why. I also wonder how the wife explained to the kids that their dad was gone and how they continued their lives without him.

1. Christopher

I agree with what you said about the author giving detailed descriptions it also helped me visualize the story and get a better understanding of what was going on in the story.