Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Janeth Vinanzaca, Gruba Critique

The text, Pendeja, You Ain’t Steinback: My Bronca with Fake-Ass Social Justice Literature, written by Myriam Gruba expresses her strong feelings towards her experiences from the social injustice in literature. Her aggressive tone depicts this from her critiques of another author, Jeanine Cummins. Gurba feels rage over Cummins’ publication of American Dirt because the novel isn’t based on real experiences from an immigrant’s perspective; instead the novel is a made up storyline based on stereotypes. Not to mention, Cummins previously identified as white in a New York Times op ed, which is another reason why Gruba feels anger over Cummins work. Overall, I enjoyed the authentic emotions felt throughout Gruba’s work.

1. Jeffrey

Aggressive is an interesting way to describe Gurba. Reading over the review, it feels like she’s a part of a one sided debate with a person that doesn’t exist. I wonder how well she would do in a real debate.

2. Alexsis

I like that you acknowledged the fact that Cummins book is made up story line that focuses on stereotypes because I felt the same way while reading this. I also enjoyed the authentic emotions that were portrayed in this piece because it’s rare to find pieces of writing that are so aggressive and passionate at the same time. I think Gruba did a great job in conveying both these emotions.

3. Nuha

I agree with you that Cummins’s novel wasn’t about real experiences that Mexicans or Latins go through. Gurba is fed up with people making stereotypes.