Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

DeAndre Badresingh, Critique on COATES

This story is not like all the other stories I have discussed so far. This story focuses mainly on the thought and the feeling behind the general theme of memories. During the story we know that the power of memories can go a very long way such as giving you the feeling of moving you to different mental state of mind. Later in the story we see the authors thoughts on what would happen if she had been the one who leapt off the bridge and the feeling that would be associated behind it. One critique I have is that the story touched on multiple different perspectives on memories at different points whereas it would be easier to explained the thought process in sequential order. 

1. Ralph Ayala

I do agree with you regarding your suggestion. I also thought the story was misleading when is changed perspective. Maybe if the transaction was clearer for readers it would look good.

2. Alexsis

It’s interesting that you mention how the author was kind of explaining a false reality that would have happened if the main character were to jump off the bridge because I never thought of that. The story was confusing to me and it didn’t occur to me the author could have been talking about multiple perspectives. I agree that the author should have organized the story better because then it would have been easier to understand.

3. Amani

I definitely agree that the story focuses a lot on thought. We really get to know a lot about how the main character feels from the beginning of the chapter to the end and how aware of her surroundings she is. I think its nice how you related the story to a “theme of memories.”

4. Jason Jordan

I was definitely confused with all of the different perspective and how the author constantly go backs and fourth. This was the only thing that bothers me and I agree with you.

5. Will

I agree with the idea of writing it all out in a sequential order. It may have already been written in a sequential order, but it seemed as if it was up to the reader to determine that. The thought of being able to ‘experience’ the memory again was there, but the change in pace made it bizarre.