Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Ralph Ayala, Critique for Anonymous

I enjoyed Anonymous’s work on how the story spread a valid message regarding the sexist attitudes people have over women. The struggle of how the narrator went from being a successful novelist to owing debt to her ex husband was tragic. It is tragedies like these that are painful to watch but it can also hold a new meaning to others that observe it. For others to witness such sad events people can hope to ensure this does not happen again in the future. The details regarding the wife’s fear and how the attitude of the husband changes from caring to jealous was very descriptive. It made the scenario very realistic to the point it grabs the reader’s attention. Overall the story was tragic but great when it comes to communicating a message to readers. There are some questions I do have for the story. What made this husband want to become a novelist? Was it just for public image? What was the husband’s perspective of living with a successful novelist? What was the daughter thinking about as she was watching what her father became? What was the daughter’s perspective in this kind of situation? What is the deeper meaning behind “happy hour”?

1. DeAndre Badresingh

When reading the story I did wonder why the husband had so much rage when he realized his wife was doing exceptionally better compared to him. I do agree the story was tragic and I feel it is because this way brings out the theme in a more outspoken way.

2. Jordan Bailey

This story is indeed tragic.

When you said: “Overall the story was tragic but great when it comes to communicating a message to readers.” Yes, I can also see it as bringing a awareness to the problems women’s shouldn’t be going through.

3. Nuha

This story left a mark on me because how could a husband turn into an enemy to his wife.
    I agree with you that this story is ”tragic.” We can’t know what will happen until we experience the way Anonymous went did.

4. Nuha