Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

A Critique of Anonymous, DeAndre Badresingh

When reading this story, I appreciated the writer’s point of view on elaborating the struggles of what writers have to endure. In addition, I felt the illustration of the cover of the story creates a strong and powerful message that is later talked about during the duration of the story. Later on, in the story, we see that writing not only affects gender, but also affects people who “try writing while queer” or “try being a POC”. Moving forward in the story, we learned that writing while being a woman can come in many different forms.  We learned that the author read an article on how men may feel insecure if the woman is better off financially than them and how the men are supposed to be superior writers compared to women. Towards the end, the author makes it known that no matter what traumatic experiences or horrible events occur, women will continue to stand tall and continue to write. That being said, my critique of this story is how to author describes the struggle of women writers. Given the husband and wife’s point of view on being two writers in the same household, I do not believe fully that this depicts the experience of all women writers. Also, the topic of the positives of being a women writer was almost never touched upon. While we get to see first-hand an example of what a woman writer might have to endure, what about successful women writers who also might have went through similar circumstances?

1. Fnu Janvi

I agree when you said,” the author makes it known that no matter what traumatic experiences or horrible events occur, women will continue to stand tall and continue to write.” because if you look at her writing style she shares her all experience sad, happy, tragic, struggle. And she was not afraid while she was writing, she explained it very confidently.