Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Critique on Truth & Beauty

While reading Ann Patchett’s “Truth and Beauty” I found myself intrigued by all the details but also constantly questioning the characters actions. Patchett did a great job describing the setting of certain moments as well as the appearance of characters. I was able to visualize where the characters were and what they looked like, helping me enact the story in my mind. While reading the text I had a lot of questions such as why was everyone so intrigued by Lucy? The main character was constantly trying to be her friend and I couldn’t understand why it was so important. Another question I had is why did Lucy suddenly change her attitude towards the narrator once they got to college but in high school she couldn’t be bothered to wave back or even say hello. Aside from my confusion I did find it enjoyable to see how Lucy became more extroverted as the story went on and I wonder what made her want to put herself out there more.

1. Kevin Navarrete

I agree with the question you were left wondering about because I felt that as descriptive as the author was they left out that valuable piece of Information about why did Lucy suddenly changed her demeanor towards the narrator. Nonetheless I also felt the author was very descriptive because I pictured everything vividly.