Prof. Jessica Penner | OL02 | Spring 2021

Meet my Nike Flynit Racers

As I grew up, I was shy and I knew my shoes reflected this as well. I would only wear all black shoes or black and white shoes, but never anything colorful because I thought it would draw too much attention to myself and I didn’t like the idea of me standing out.

However, one day I was at the mall and saw these shoes; multicolor flynit racers. As soon as I saw them, I instantaneously felt the need to purchase these shoes, which was strange to me because I had only been wearing black shoes. Despite this, I went ahead and purchased a pair. I was excited to purchase these shoes because they were the first pair of shoes I was able to buy for myself using my own money. I was also feeling a bit anxious because they were completely out of my comfort zone and I had no idea how I would be able to style them.

As time went on, I started to realize that I didn’t have to stick to only wearing black shoes. By purchasing these shoes, it started to give me some confidence in myself that I can wear any shoes I like and it didn’t always have to be black. Being able to go out of my comfort zone helped me realize my interest in shoes and gain the confidence I needed.

1. Alexsis

Hi Janeth, I think it’s great that you bought a pair of shoes that were outside of your comfort zone. This purchase could allow you to express yourself and could also help you learn more about yourself which is always a good thing. My question to you is, now that you have a pair of shoes that are colorful have you also purchased clothes that you wouldn’t normally wear?