Prof. Jessica Penner | OL20 | Fall 2021

Saba Chaudhry Jones Critique

As soon as I started reading I knew i would enjoy this reading. I love the energy and the detailed descriptions of the first day of school. It made me feel like I was four years old again, getting ready to start Pre-K. The details about, her clothes, hair, supplies all transported me back to when i was starting school. I think that is when you know what you’re reading is a great piece of work. As the story continued I was getting more and more interested in the story. Although, it was telling a story that could’ve been summarized in 2-3 sentences. For example the author could have said I started my first day of school, my hair was in tight braids. My mom went to sign me up for a school, but they said we were out the area they cover, so I started school at a different place. I think that the way she knew how to elongate these details was very beautiful. It was not one bit boring.

One question I have is, why was is so important for thee lady’s daughter to go to the first school?

1. bensonzheng1012

I agree with your point that the way the author writes the story makes it a lot more interesting. The story could easily be shortened to a few lines but having it from the perspective of the child and writing it in a way that focuses on what they perceived makes it an interesting piece to read.