Journal 1

My Unseen Blessing

I meet Madeleine when I was 12 years old. I had just transferred to my middle school which was located 3 miles away from my home. This was a far distance to travel in those days, but my parents thought it was a great opportunity because I was a very smart kid at the time. Every morning I work up at 5.30am to get ready to walk the mile and a half to the highway where I could board a public bus. I left home at 5.45am before it got too hot to make the journey. Two cornrows, one position on the left side of my head and the other on the right, blue ribbons tied to each end of my cornrow. Black shoes, white socks that looks like Scottish men of 17th century that complemented my pleated blue skirt matched with white button-down shirt. My attire was a compulsory uniform. My Jansport backpack weighing almost 15lbs and in my left hand holds my lunch box. Leaving my right hand free to wave to everyone along my way. Every morning as I left for school, I shouted good morning to my neighbors.  their dogs would bark at the sight of me skipping and hoping as I slowly make my way down a dirty path. After 15 minutes of walking, I arrived at the first pave road that would later lead me to the highway. I would sometimes get lucky and get ride with people from my district. My island was small, so people knew each and looked out for the children keeping them safe from dangers. I would make my first stop for a drink of water halfway through my walk, but my favorite spot was under a huge Calabash tree next to Mrs. Toussaint house. A beautiful yellow paint with white trimming, a huge balcony with floors that look like freshly fallen snow embraces the house while taking shelter under the gablet roof. The house stood majestically among the green trees. I seem to always get lost in admiration but will Mrs. Toussaint who always seat in a rocking chair in the balcony call out to me reminding me it’s time to get going. ” You don’t want to be late for school” she would yell. It’s now 7am and I’ve finally gotten to the highway. Minibuses rave in both directions making the street look bigger than it is. I always get to school much easier than the kids who live in the village.

By noon my lunch is so cold that it became difficult to consume on many occasions. Madeline my classmate who lived in the village but had working parents was also sent to school with her lunch. She noticed at lunch time I hardly ate, choose to inquire. I did not want to answer because I was concerns of other kids hearing, so I showed her. The fat from my meat had congeal. Madeleine then offered to share her lunch with me, and she did for a month without me asking. She later asked her mom to allow me to come over at noon so I may heat up my food; But for us to do that, her mom Maggie increase Madeleine’s chores in hopes to show that Madeleine is responsible enough to allow us in their home without any adult presence. The favor was later granted, and I eat a hot meal at lunchtime for the next four years. Our friendship continues throughout high school. Due to our residential district, we were parted as we started collage. Madeline and I could not wait for school holidays so we could spend hours on the phone. On my eighteenth birthday she surprised me with a cake she baked at her new boyfriend bakery. As we grew older our responsibilities kept us apart but always maintain our friendship using any technology available.

Today as adult, I have moved thousands of miles into a whole new continent, but our friendship is still blooming. In 2015 we both married in December and was maid of honor to each other. One year later I became the God mother to Madeleine first born child Sofia. Now I am not just a friend but part of her family as she is of mine.