In chapter one of Truth & Beauty, I liked the flow of the story and how it was leading from one scene to the other in an orderly fashion. It was well organized and well descriptive. As I was reading through, the story made me imagine what was going on as if it was in reality and I actually created imagery in my mind. I also liked how the author well depicted the admiration she had for Lucy and a true and geniune friendship she wanted to have with her even though at the beginning Lucy did not like her and was jealous of her acceptance to Iowa Writers’ Workshop because she wanted to be the only person getting accepted from Sarah Lawrence. Even though Lucy was a bright, smart, and poetic student at school, people did not feel comfortable talking to her and making friends with her because of her appearance due to multiple surgeries she went through as a result of her cancer. But, Ann was always by her side, wanted to be her true friend, felt flattered when Lucy spoke to her even though she suspected that she did not like her, and did not judge her looks and not very right actions she was taking. She also did her best to find them an apartment that they can afford during their school years.

Dear author,

I want to ask you what made you want to be closer to Lucy at the beginning even though you had a feeling that she did not like you? Did you want to learn more about her and also gain popularity as her?