Not what you would think

At the age of 17 unsure of my future, I packed my bags and head out to the city to discover myself. Outside of working occasionally in my aunt’s travel agency, I had little to no work experience. 

One day I was walking down the busy street of Brooklyn when I saw a young lady holding up a sign that reads “help wanted”. Needing to make my own money, I follow the arrow on the sign down a dirty rat-infested ally that leads to stairs without even asking the young lady what the job was for.

At first, I did not think much of it because it was Brooklyn and most of the street downtown is covered in garbage. As I got closer to the bottom of the stairs, I heard loud music and chattering coming from the locked door that was located on the top of the stairs.

I had a bad feeling about it but took a deep breath and climb the metal stairs cautiously one slow step at a time. As I got to the top of the stairs the sound became louder and the chatters now sounded like someone was fighting. 

I knock on the door with shaky hands now more nervous than ever because I don’t know what was happening on the other side of the door. At first, nothing happened. And after what seems like forever the door swing opens. Not sure what I was expecting to see, a cult leader, a 6ft 5inc man covered in tattoos holding up shotguns, or an ax murderer, I don’t know what I was expecting to see but the person that opens the door was not who I expected to see behind a metal door in the back of a dirty ally.

Standing in front of me was a beautiful young lady no more than eighteen with the brightest smile you can imagine. She was so full of energy and life that I instantly relax and let go of the breath I did not realize I was holding. “Come inside,” she said as she closes the door behind me.

The outside of the building and the inside was so opposite. Unlike that dirty rat-infested ally, inside was clean and full of light. The walls were covered in beautiful artwork and the space was empty with nothing but a reception desk in the front, an open space in the back with mirrors from one end of the wall to the next, and metal rails along the walls. After observing the space for a few minutes, I realize it was a dance studio with children from all age groups dancing from one end of the room to the next.

“Hello, I am Susan” the young lady who opens the door said to me as she leads the way to the reception desk. “Are you here to sign up for classes?” she added. “No, actually I am here about the open position I saw advertised by a young lady at the entrance” I answered as we got to the desk.  She handed me an application form and explain to me the position was for a receptionist. I fill out the application form and handed it back to her. She informed me that the manager would reach out to me once they look over my application.

“I would love to work in a place like this”, I thought to myself. I love children and always wanted a job where I would get to work with them. I walked around for a while longer after I was finished with Susan just to get a feel of the place. The noise l heard was coming from the music the students were dancing to and the shouting was from the instructors shouting out dance instructions.

I really like the place and how comfortable it feels even with all the music and the dancing. A week later I got a call from the Human Resources Manager. I went in for an interview accepted the job on the spot.