Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

Leviza Murtazayeva, Staceyann Chin’s Poem

This is one of the strongest poems that i have came across in a while. Chin has stressed in her poem that the life of a person that is living through inequality, race and gender/sexuality discriminations, especially a woman is really rough and not peaceful. She also stresses a moment of race inequality where a white woman compares herself with a African American woman by using “me too,” too as if she is seeking for help. Chin expressed the rage and mistrust towards that since she did not seem to notice help when it was asked from their side. She spoke in a were revolving tone where it expressed the pains and rage that grew inside of her, and this makes the poem very powerful.

1. Jozelyn

Hi Leviza, the part of the poem you are thinking about made me go “Wow.” The comparison she spoke up brought even more light to the inequality that Black woman suffer from.

2. Angelica Salazar

Hi Leviza, I agree I also thought this poem was truly powerful, this poem expressed the inequalities may black women face with such powerful and strong feelings of hatred toward anyone who has taken advantage of these women in any way and form

3. Amna Ahmed

Hi Leviza, I agree that Chin had a lot mistrust towards white women and rightfully so. Many white women do not stick up for black women, but will stick up for other white women. It creates cause for anger because of how unfair and unjust it is.

4. Saja Musa

Leviza, great response. I too agree with you that this poem is powerful and raises awareness on issues that are overlooked in society. The powerful message of hers radiates through her tone during the recitation which captures the attention of the audience. The main issue she raises awareness about is the rights of black women. Their rights are overlooked and shunned which causes many to be deprived of resources and opportunities that white women are easily handed.