Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

Robert Rampersaud, Formal Critique ‘The Water Dancer’ by Ta Nehisi Coates’

Enjoyed:

Dialogue:

The author did a great job describing the way the narrator feel toward his master and wanted to be free of him by mentioning ā€œall I wanted was to be gone and free of Maynardā€™s voice, thought I could never, in this life, be free of himā€.

Dialogue:

By reading the way the narrator describing Maynard, the reading can feel how betrayed the narrator felt. For an example, the narrator described being his protector by preventing him from getting shot, and he would put Maynard to bed every night. However, the narrator got in return was treated like he meant nothing because he finds himself chain by Maynard.

Setting and Context:

The setting of ā€˜The Water Danceā€™ is during the 17th century. This was the time during slavery because the narrator mentions ā€œMaynard who held my chain. Maynard, my brother who was made my masterā€. Also, the narrator mention he was pushing the horse as hard as he could which led me to believe that hose was the only means of traveling. This could not be taking place in modern time.

Plot:

The plot was very clear in this reading. The author did a great job describing how much the narrator wanted to be free from his master.

Questions:

Point of View:

Did the narrator ever attempted to run away from his master?

Characters:

Who was the people that told the narrator about his mother growing up since he only had good memory of what was told to him?

Voice & Style:

How did Maynard feel toward the narrator?

Dialogue:

What happen to the narratorā€™s mother?

1. Luzmery

Hi Robert, i totally agree with your comment under dialogue about how betrayed the narrator felt. I do not understand how Maynard could treat his brother like that after all he had done for him i think that at the end, when Hiram is drowning he somehow feels release since he is now going to be with those who actually loved him.

2. Luzmery