Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

Dylan Nanjad, The Wife’s Story Critique

ENG1141

Creative Writing

Formal Critique

Reviewer’s Name: Dylan Nanjad

Title of Piece: The Wife’s Story

Author’s Name: Ursula K. Le Guin

Plot: The story confused me at the end, but I realized it was about a mother wolf whose husband turned into a man. I love that twist. What is this story based on?

Characters: The narrator keeps us in the dark about their true nature by only describing character traits and not physical ones, which is something I really liked. How did she figure out how to work around the fine details?

Point of View: I love how the point of view felt so natural that I didn’t even think about the narrator being a wolf. When she described her husband it sounded like any person doting on their loved one. Why didn’t she write about the experience from the husband’s perspective?

Dialogue: The minimal dialogue kept the narrator from giving away and hints about the characters’ nature.

1. nickay82

I too like the twist of the story. It took my halfway thought to realize that the story was about a wolf turning into a human. I think the author did a grate job with that.

2. Angelica Salazar

Hey Dylan, I also thought it was creative of the author to write in the perspective of a wolf it was quite the plot twist. I agree with you I thought that the author did a good job when describing the husband personality we couldn’t tell they were wolves until we read the plot twist

3. Sarvi

Hello Dylan,
    I agree how you mentioned them being wolves, I honestly did not think they were. While reading the story, I thought they were humans. I think that was author’s intensions to make readers suspended and think that we are reading it from human’s perspective.