Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

Meet my iPhone

I currently have the iPhone 11, which I have only had for two months. I bought it for myself a week before my birthday. I had always planned on buying myself the iPhone 11, partially because the only reason was because of the color. Aside from the many newer features the phone came with, Apple came out with a variety of colors for the iPhone 11, and Lavender was by far my favorite. Lavender has always been my favorite color, not only the color but the plant and the smell it has. So, with all those factors weighed in I had made my decision to buy the Lavender colored phone.

My only issue was that I didn’t necessarily need to buy a new phone. I previously had the iPhone 8 which I had received as a gift from my mother in 2018. The phone itself has some scratches and some cracks but it still functioned properly. During my lifetime so far, I have had around 6 to 7 phones. The reason for me having this many phones is because for the majority of the phones that I’ve had I would be careless with them and they would end up being destroyed in some way, cracked or with a broken screen. Knowing this about me it goes without saying that I was once again clumsy and carless enough to have dropped my phone in the middle of a volleyball game. I remember the feeling of my heart dropping when I had heard my phone fall on the ground. With the sound alone I knew the phone would be broken. As I went to pick up my phone I saw that both the screen and back of the phone was cracked, I was upset because at the time I didn’t have a phone case. I had taken my phone case off because the case I had prior to dropping it was clear, which was looking more yellow than clear.

After being phone-less for 2 days and debating whether I should fix the phone or not, I decided that this accident was the perfect excuse to buy the iPhone 11. After purchasing the phone online I almost immediately searched on amazon for a screen protector and a case for the phone. I decided to thoroughly look for a case that I liked and that would protect my phone if it falls, so I bought an outer case which are known for their bulky and protective cases. I was excited that only a couple days after I placed my order the phone came in the mail, and it was just in time for my birthday. I am currently in love with this phone partially because of the new features such as portrait mode for the front camera(and other features that I am still exploring) but mainly because I finally bought myself something that I had been waiting to get and most importantly it’s in my favorite color. My beautiful lavender phone has a well-protected screen and a phone case whose outer rim is navy blue. Yes my phone has fallen in the past 2 months(more than id like to admit) but has been well protected with its case and screen protector, which I won’t be taking off anytime soon.

1. Robert Rampersaud

Good evening Angelica,
    iPhone 11 is a great phone, and I understand why you made the decision to get the iPhone 11. It would have cost hundreds of dollars to get your old phone fix, and it was worth investing in a screen protector and case. Do you use your phone to complete your online courses this semester, and what changes should Apple make to be more user friendly?