Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

Meet my Doc Martens

In the fall of 2017, I became infatuated with the idea of owning Doc Marten boots, it was probably due to social media or because I saw musical performers wear them. I just thought they were badass. That Christmas I got my first pair and I was extremely excited. I began wearing them everywhere and every day (mostly). It gave me a boost of confidence I needed and made any outfit look great. I would wear them so much at school, that some of my friends or acquaintances would tell me that they would want a pair. Next thing you know I saw that they got themselves a pair. I even had my college counselor tell me that others couldn’t rock them the way I did. Looking back at it now it looks like I was unintentionally promoting the brand. I’d even worn them to my trip to Mexico that summer of 2018 and continued my senior year of high school with them and near the end of that school year with the soles breaking in the front and the middle. I was in shock by that, but then I took my boots breaking as a sign of an era ending. So I decided to get a new pair of Doc martens in a slightly different style for graduation as a way to enter a new era in my life.

I could only find this picture.

1. maliklee

I like how you said the boots gave you a boost of confidence I believe clothes can make a person feel a lot better about themselves. Also I like once you realized everyone around began to wear them that didn’t stop you from making it your statement shoe.Besides the Doc Martens are there any other shoe out that catches your eye & is it worth giving up your favorite boots.

2. Diana Rivera

I really like how you saw the shoes breaking as an end of an era in a positive way rather than a negative one. It shows real maturity. What made you think to get another pair of Doc Martins rather than a different brand to represent a new era beginning?

3. Robert Rampersaud

I did not realize how popular the Doc Martens shoes are. I’m going to be noticing it even more now. That great to see you shoes actually influence people on getting it too. Did you get the color?

4. Amna Ahmed

The way you talked about your docs make me want to get a pair for myself. I really like how you didn’t get mad at your friends for buying themselves a pair Most people would get mad at their friends for copying them. Do you think you would ever get a different color Doc Martens?

5. Mamadou

I like how when your old Doc Martens were done and you were ready to start a new era, you didn’t go find a new brand to wear but instead got *different* Doc Martens.

Do you still only own a single pair of Doc Martens or do you now have several?

6. Jozelyn

I love how you connected your Doc Martens to the beginning and ending of an era. Some people just see an item covering their feet, but for you and correct me if I am wrong, it almost made you feel powerful. Although your friends also bought a pair, you still had a sense of individuality because your style was different that is awesome! Now, you saw you bought a new pair to symbolize a new era in you life but did you change your style as well?

7. Jozelyn