Yaire Castillo

21 September 2020

ENG1121

Word Count:441

After taking some time to think whether I should write a letter or speech, I have finally made up my mind. I have decided to write a speech because I feel like I’ll be able to draw the attention of a larger crowd, making my point be touched by many people. For example, what I loved about Frederick Douglass speech is that he addressed a large group of people. It seemed to have more of an affect and impact when his voice was heard more than just one person. He spoke up and touched many people. Me being one of them, I realized that I shouldn’t be afraid to address a large group of people and say what I have to do. 

I think this specific genre will help me make my argument because I’m not the only one with the same problem as others. Addressing a large audience with different ages, religion, culture, sexual orientation will help make my argument effective. Writing the issue in a speech will help me to speak my mind and be able to actually have a voice. Instead of being nervous of their response I’ll just be focused on whether they understood the message of my speech or not.

My audience will be composed of different ages, religion, culture, sexual orientation etc. I don’t want to address a specific type of audience because I want everyone to feel what I have to say. I want the different views on my speech and see how it’ll impact people regardless of their differences. My speech will be able to touch everyone even if they can’t relate, the point is to hear my problem out and have a different view on it. 

Summary of organizing my thoughts

In the beginning of my speech I’ll make it clear that no one is being excluded from my speech. I will begin with a statement that will captivate my audience’s mind. I will continue by pointing out that being a female Latina in this society is extremely hard. I’ll make sure to include my personal experiences in which I’ve encountered hardships with being a female Latina. Later on, I will make it clear that although I am female Latina I will keep on pushing and make sure that I get to accomplish my long term goal, being a criminal defense attorney. I will allude to many historical figures and their point of view on diversity. Finally, I’ll restate my thesis on how being a female Latina is hard but I won’t let that obstacle stop me from being who I want to be. I’ll make it with or without people’s support.