Ana Lis Amezquita 

October 21, 2020

ENGLISH 1121

Word Count: 631

Citation:

Solutions, Social. “Top 5 Barriers to Mental Healthcare Access.” Social Solutions, 28 July 2020, www.socialsolutions.com/blog/barriers-to-mental-healthcare-access/.

Summary:

This type of genre is a blog. Mental health is very common but most people do not realize that. Most of the people with mental illness do not receive any kind of treatment or therapy. Having access to healthcare is very important and it can of course improve some people’s lives. In the first source, they talked about cost being a barrier and in this blog cost is one of the main issues. Not having awareness of mental health education and racial and ethnic groups can be barriers to seeking help. 

Reflection: 

Reading this has helped me understand another barrier which I kind of knew that it was a problem and that is racial and ethnic groups. People of color are known to be treated poorly and be treated differently than whites and that is a fact. Black, Hispanics and Asians are but getting treatment for some severe illness which I find crazy. Having access to mental healthcare is important and everyone should be able to get to them but that is a problem. Something I would love that this document added would be if they could talk about how some minority groups do not really  believe in mental illness. I can talk about this. There are some parents that believe just because you have a roof over your head and you have food that you are good and that is not right. I think the author really kept it short and simple and straightforward about the topic and it answers my questions.

Quotation: 

”If a person doesn’t know something is wrong, it’s unlikely they will seek treatment.”(pg.1)

Citation: 

Delle, Sangu. “Transcript of ‘There’s No Shame in Taking Care of Your Mental Health.’” TED, 2017, www.ted.com/talks/sangu_delle_there_s_no_shame_in_taking_care_of_your_mental_health/transcript?referrer=playlist-the_struggle_of_mental_health.

Summary:

This was a Ted Talk by Sangu Delle, an African man. He was saying how he had suffered an anxiety attack and there were days where he could not do anything and some days just wanted to stay in bed and cry. He went to the doctor, he asked him if wanted to see a professional and he without thinking said no. And he felt shame and stigma in the back of his head. Sangu felt suffocated by the masculinity he needed to keep. “Mental health is about being able to cope with the stressors of life,” he said. Low income places have insufficient mental healthcare services.

Reflection: 

Throughout his whole speech, I agree completely. I wanted to get a man’s perspective on this because men are taught to not show emotions and to act and be tough all the time. And this is completely true. Sangu really talked about the stigma and that is how people, especially men hold themselves up. It is okay to cry and not feel okay. That does not make and man less than what he is. We are all humans. We all go through things in life and it is okay if things do not go how it’s supposed to go and we break down because we will get back up. I feel like he really explained it very well and I hope that he can inspire men and young adults to not be afraid to show emotions. I feel like this document really just adds more to my research question. 

Quotation: 

“Talk to your friends. Talk to your loved ones. Talk to health professionals. Be vulnerable. Do so with the confidence that you are not alone. Speak up if you’re struggling. Being honest about how we feel does not make us weak; it makes us human.”