Prof. Jessica Penner | OL70 | Fall 2020

Unit 2: Annotated Bibliography Discussion

In the “reply” section, answer one or more question fully.

Have you ever written an annotated bibliography before?

Have you done research for another class?

What is some advice you might give to peers about research?

In addition, you may use this opportunity to ask practical questions about the assignment itself (deadlines, formatting, etc.).

Your response needs to be around 150 words.

1. Karan

1) The last annotated bibliography I have written would had to have been in my first semester English class. I remember the hardest part for me was properly citing the sources that I found and summarizing what the article is about in my own words. It was still a new concept to me but it was not the most difficult assignment I had to do so it went well. I remember writing about something related to discourse communities but not quite the same idea. It was more about picking multiple topics to write about then having to do some research using either books, articles, websites or pretty much anything that was related to the topics I chose. At the end, the bibliography was not that difficult per se; it was mostly the research and trying to find credible sources to include in the bibliography. Citing the sources was hard as well but using for example Purdue Owl really helped at the end.

2. Sylvana

I remember writing one annotated bibliography probably one year ago, on my first english class. It help select better our sources and really research about the topic. I remember being a little confusing and tedious because you have to summarize what the article is about. it also having the resources in advance and not waiting for the last minute to research about the topic. Also, citing the resource was not easy and I still struggle with it. Do you have websites or sources you recommend for our next assignment?

3. Kseniia Dymchenko

Kseniia Dymchenko
    I have never written an Annotated Bibliography before, so it was difficult enough to get started in this regard. I did not do that such work in previous classes. In the previous work, I only analyzed one or another source with a list literature, without analyzing each work. Therefore, first I read in the Internet what is it about, how it written, how it differs from the usual bibliographic reference. Bibliographic reference is easy list of cited sources. Annotated bibliography it’s completely different of course. Therefore, now I can already tell my classmates where to get started. You need to read text carefully. Highlight the most important idea in this work. Only after that you can get started. Write in the first paragraph briefly describe the source, in the second is to evaluate the source, in the third, to look at the relevance of the original material for research. Annotated bibliographies should be arranged in alphabetical order according to the last names of the first the author mentioned in each of the quotes. This is the only document which can make life easier for you and your professor if you finish your research paper with great success.

4. Muhammad Musharib

I have never written an annotated bibliography this is my first time, I hope in this letter the professor likes it.

I did many research papers in the past such as for history and also past English classes. This letter is to the President-elect, of the most powerful country in the world, the United States Of America.

I’m confident enough that what I did in my letter regarding an annotated bibliography is right and the professor should like it, I used multiple references to back up my point, for example, Such as Marry Wollstonecraft also used proper evidence to back up her point also. I also used proper evidence to back my point up.
    Regarding the deadline, I will say the deadline was reasonable, I had enough time to write my speech and check it. And also I was able to proofread it many times before I was confident enough to post it.

5. Ziyam Malik

I have written an annotated bibliography before for my previous English and Sociology classes. I have also done research for another class as well. Both the Bibliography and the research tie into each other directly because, I had to use the research to create the Bibliography. Some advice I can offer my peers for research is that make sure you don’t use wikipedia. Use sources that have the ending of .gov, or .org because they are reliable sources. Make sure to also use texts (books) and research their authors and their qualifications because you do not want to cite an author that has their credibility stripped or are not qualified to speak on a specific subject. A few questions I have specifically for this class are how will our research tie into our writing? Why is the Bibliography so long? Will we write more than one Bibliography throughout this class?

6. Yaire

Yaire Castillo
    1 October 2020
    ENG1121
    Word Count: 112
    I have never written an annotated bibliography, the closest thing I got to that was just citing what a writer said in their book, article, etc. I have done research for my law class. The research I had to do was to look for the most ridiculous civil case ever. At the end of my research I made sure I gave credit to the source where I found it and to the person who wrote it. Some advice I might give to my peers about research is to stay away from plagiarism. Just try to either paraphrase what you have found but never forget to give credit to the source and writer.

7. Ethan Mau

I have written several annotated bibliographies before. During the four years of high school I attended, every single class I had to write an annotated bibliography for my essays or research papers. I have done plenty of research papers, and feel I am adept in writing papers, especially research papers. Some advice I can offer my peers is take your time during your research, and dont do research when procrastinating because then you are stressed and cannot really vet sources well. As well as using the online library sources that most SUNY’s and CUNY’s provide. They are incredibly effective, and all the sources are trusted well. A few questions I would have is the topics I could choose from, the word limit on the assigned paper, as well as deadline and how much time we have to prepare for this research paper. Also, are there any sources that you specifically would recommend besides the ones that the school is required to push, the school specific online library.

8. Chhring N Sherpa

Yes! I have written annonated bibliography since my highschool days regrading subject such as essays and some science research. For the science research, I remember in-text citation and later in the end of the work I wrote annonated bibliographies regarding my research. I want to suggest that writing annonated bibliiography not hard, there are some concept that you have to follow. FYI, I think using google docs can help you to write some bibliography, if you go to add-ons and get EasyBib Bibliography for free.

9. C. Vazquez

Chyna Vazquez
    October 1, 2020
    ENG1121
    Word Count: 121

– Yes, I have recently written an annotated bibliography before. Last semester in my English class, I was assigned an annotated bibliography. What website would you recommend us to use in order to cite our sources for an annotated bibliography?
    – Yes, I have done a research paper for a sociology class.
    – Some advice to my classmates is that you can start brainstorming your research with Wikipedia. However, continue searching for other reliable resources such as newspaper articles or websites that end with .org, .gov, etc. I personally think Wikipedia is a good source to search for keywords that are related to your topic but shouldn’t not be included in your paper.
    – Take notes, especially of any good sources that you have found.

10. KevonDawkins

Kevon Dawkins
    10/1/20
    English 1121
    Word Counts:159

2.Well, I can’t believe this is a question that everyone had done a research paper since middle school to college therefore the format is not new nor strange. Based on my experience of research papers, you need a title, abstract, methods/procedures, conclusion, and references that indicate the hypothesis of the authors work based on what you have research of the writing style.

3.You may be asked, what advice would you give to people who struggled or improve on? well, you’re in no bad luck that these are the four tips. Step 1: Choose a specific category that you may like. Step 2: create a thesis/main idea that you want the reader to know about. Step 3 do a full research on your topic and step 4, write an outline/draft in which you make fewer mistakes and more room for improvement therefore satisfies for more information and courage.

11. Xavier M

Hello professor, No i have never written an annotated bibliography and i honestly don’t really know how to and where to start so i know we don’t have class but if there’s way like links and videos you can guide us an point us towards to help us learn how to do it that would be awesome. I have done minimal research for english 1 last year but back in highschool i remember we had to do a lot of research for classes like english and history from what i learned i can tell my peers to use reliable sources with .gov at the end and never use wikipedia since it’s not really reliable anyone can edit the documents.
    .

12. Chelsea Brenyah

I actually have written an annotated bibliography before, this was actually in high school when I did. I did a couple research paper when I was in UB especially in my public health class. At the end of the semester we had to be done with our research paper mine was on anxiety. Some advice that I would give is that make sure your getting your information from accurate sources. And also make sure that you try to use the CUNY library sources online because I know I had to use the SUNY library tool for some of my evidence. Will the format for this assignment be APA format or still MLA? Also do we get to pick a topic on what we are going to talk about in the paper?

13. Chelsea Brenyah

14. aaamrin

Word Count: 166
    I don’t really remember if I wrote an annotated bibliography before. Back in high school, I took AP Seminar during Junior Year and then AP Research during Senior Year. We learned various types of bibliographies and writing formats and styles. I may have written an annotated bibliography before but I probably forgot the name. I can give so much advice to my peers about research. Research is like a puzzle to me. You think that this piece of information is related to your work or your topic but it’s really not. You need to find sources that will make sense to what you are saying or writing about. In addition to that, you won’t always find the right information. Furthermore, you need to know what kind of stuff you need to research. It takes a long time to find what you’re really looking for but just like Louis L’Amour said, “Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on”.

Question: Can you let us know when will be a good time to start working on our drafts next time? I may have wrote my speech a few days late hence why it hasn’t met the requirements but I promise I can do better. I always aced all my writings throughout highschool.

15. Dyrisha

word count:
    I don’t think I have ever done an annotated bibliography but there’s always a first time for everything.
    yes for an English class
    try to get multiple sources use the internet also the library website to find some more reliable sources. try not to use wikipedia as that website can be rewritten by different people.