Prof. Jessica Penner | OL70 | Fall 2020

Chyna Vazquez, Micro-Assignment #3

Chyna Vazquez 

September 2, 2020

ENG1121

Word Count:330

A discourse community that I have participated in is the girls’ soccer team in high school. I grew up playing soccer with my cousins and I’ve always enjoyed playing. Once I got to high school, I was thrilled to join the team. 

However, I noticed that the girls’ team didn’t have as much school representation as the boys’ soccer team. Whenever the boys had a soccer game, my high school would announce it and everyone would go. While on the other hand, my high school would rarely announce when the girls’ team had a game. The few times the girls’ soccer games were announced, there weren’t as many people as the boys’ games. In other words, the girls’ team didn’t have the same level of support that the boys’ team did. I also noticed that most schools don’t have a female coach for the girls’ team. I have personally heard of girls from a different school speaking out of being sexually abused by their male soccer coach. 

Women athletes in any sport don’t have as much support and representation as men athletes. During my research, I encountered an article from Los Angeles Times that stated “The U.S. women’s soccer team has filed a class-action lawsuit against its national federation, demanding the same level of support that goes to the men” (Wharton, 2020). Therefore, there are claims that continue to arise and are connected to the women’s soccer team. “Soon after the lawsuit was announced, other women leaders in sports voiced their support of the trailblazing squad” (McCoy, 2020).

According to the New York Times, “Ada Hegerberg, a 23-year-old Norwegian, was recognized as the best female soccer player in the world” and “despite the big award, she has decided not to play on the biggest stage of all, the Women’s World Cup” (Mervosh & Caron, 2019). “Hegerberg quit the Norwegian national team in 2017 in protest of what she said was a lack of support for women’s soccer in her home country” (Mervosh & Caron, 2019).

Citation:

[1] McCoy, Jenny, et al. “13 Times Women in Sports Fought for Equality.” Glamour, 1 Apr. 2020, www.glamour.com/story/13-times-women-in-sports-fought-for-equality.

[2] Mervosh, Sarah, and Christina Caron. “8 Times Women in Sports Fought for Equality.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 8 Mar. 2019, www.nytimes.com/2019/03/08/sports/women-sports-equality.html.

[3] Wharton, David. “A Unique Moment in History? ‘Women Athletes Are Doing What Needs to Be Done’.” Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Times, 8 Mar. 2020, www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-03-08/female-athletes-sexual-abuse-title-ix-simone-biles-allyson-felix.

1. Chhring N Sherpa

I believed that in modern world, every genders are treated equally whether it’s regarding job or sports but after reading the issue about the female soccer player, it gave me negative consideration. However, every corners of the world have different culture and values around genders, I believe that not all humans have same opportunities whether it is a male or a female.

2. Sylvana Rincon

Hello Chyna, your discourse community caught my attention because I did not mentioned it on my discourse community problems, and I should have . I work in the construction industry which is a male dominant industry. Many times you are not given the value and the support for being a female. However, we have to continue fighting and working hard so that they can see that us women are capable of anything.