Prof. Jessica Penner | OL12 | Fall 2020

Amanda Feliz Micro Activity#3 (brainstorming)

Amanda Feliz

Eng1121

September 1,2020

prof. Penner

There are many different types of discourse communities. A community that I would put myself in is religion. There are some people who have negative concerns about the religious communities. 

• For starters, sometimes people donā€™t understand the religious discourse community. There are some people who donā€™t agree or accept religion. Some people see religion as a negative impact on people’s lives, one of the negative comments people say religion is brainwashing people, some people also say religion is a way people can get easily manipulated. 
  • Another issue people might say about religion is that itā€™s  ā€œOutdatedā€. For 

Example: Christainty uses the bible and it does not adapt to the modern lifestyle of the youth. 

• Another issue people might argue is that religion takes control over your lifestyle. For instance, saying what is not acceptable and what is acceptable in our life. Like one example is some religious people arenā€™t accepting of the gay community because religious people was taught that sinnful act. 

The issue I find the most interesting is the religion ā€œtake control over your lifestyleā€. According to PMC they say ā€œpeople who violate religious norms may experience feelings of guilt or shame, or they may fear punishment from God.ā€ This piece of information is evidence of how religious  people feel when they do something unacceptable. This goes to show how religion controls their life, that they fear God or feel guilty if they did something that is unacceptable in a religious lifestyle. This piece of information catched my attention because it made me see how important religion is to some people and how serious and committed they are. Some solutions people have regarding this problem, is they can reform religion and make the teachings more modern. That can help the religious community learn modern ways of adapting to society. 

1. Joe

I believe religion is very important. All religion, no matter what denomination, is a helping guidance of a personal nature. From my experience and understanding of different religions, I see a common theme. The guidance is normally very positive in nature.

2. Daria Dubovskaia

Hi Amanda, thank you for your post. Indeed, there are a lot of people who is either agnostic or atheist. Either way they are against religion as an institute, system of beliefs, or anything else. I think it is important to differentiate faith from religion. The word religion itself is more general, say, you can religiously seek success in life. I think Faith encompassed in religion has different connotation against just religion. Life is very hard and some people want to believe and not to be alone. Religion is the solution for them. But yes I agree, there should be less hatred