Prof. Jessica Penner | OL12 | Fall 2020

Discussion: How’s U3 Going?

• In the comments section, write a few sentences giving a report on what you’ve accomplished during Week 12 and the beginning of Week 13 and  how far you’ve gotten in your draft.
  • This assignment earns you 50 points towards your Unit 3 Writing Assignment (out of 150 points total). No matter how much (or little) you’ve accomplished–if you share it here, you get 50 points!

1. Amanda

During my time drafting unit 3, I was struggling with a couple of things. So for instance, I was struggling with which model do I choose that is good for me to write. How do I start my model, and what’s a good way of starting what I want to talk about so my readers are interested. After thinking about all of that I decided to choose a podcast because I felt like it’s more effective. I was also struggling with making my podcast understanding and retable to people. But so far I accomplished writing a podcast and during my podcast, I thought it was a good idea to interview someone based on my topic, I felt like that would make the podcast more real and interesting.

2. Joe

I have selected using PowerPoint as my multimodal platform, wrestling with all the types of media I have been incorporating into each slide. Each slide contains some text, an image, a sound bite, and a “stickman” animation. So far I have completed 10 slides and an Artist’s Statement which is complete. I am concerned that volume of my media is using too many bytes. I am at 29,008KB at this time, and am fearful the file may be too large to upload. I do not think I can add more slides at this time, should probably be considering how to compress the file. I have been listing to guidance and have been manipulating my content to reflect more of my unit#2 research. One reflection is that from my research I have drawn a conclusions, picking up a leaning to one side of the issue. I am aware of peoples passions and it is not my intention to incite negative feelings, I expect some pushback. But the world would be a boring place without differences of opinions. It is not my desire though to be stimulated by conflict.

3. jevon

So far, in my unit 3 project, I have achieved very little. I chose some cool designs and pictures to put on my slides. I believe this event will help my audience to understand the deforestation data better. How I can make this relevant to my audience is one of the struggles I’ve come across. I do not want to bore them with facts that they are not interested in learning. I’m also still working on my statement about the artist.

4. jevon

5. Eriq Ahmad

So far in my U3 Multimodal project, I’m a little behind since I was really confused on how this project should have been done. I’ve talked to Professor Penner on zoom and she have helped me get through all of the confusion. Now I’m creating a power point on google slides and everything seems to be running smoothly as of right now. I’m using many different animated images including the different types of pollutions and both mentioning and summarizing only the important information from my U2 project. Instead of doing the writing statement, I’m writing mine under the power point slides where it ways “notes” just so that it won’t throw my audience attention off.

6. Andy

I’ve gotten a lot of things done for my project number 3 I just need to know how to word the information into the my presentation/ poster so I can make sure I get the message out there. I already have the design I’ve been working on and I really think the visuals are really going to me appealing to who ever reads it. But I am a little worried on how I would place my information but I will figure it out.

7. Cindy Cortes Corona

During week 12 I was able to look at examples and was able to brainstorm many ideas on what to add to my project. As of now I have a plan and the only struggle i would have is organizing. However that won’t be a problem for long, as this problem shouldn’t take long to fix. For the most part I am at a 50% with my draft and will be done soon.

8. Sumon Alam

I will be working on a PowerPoint which will be the current situation that is the COVID 19, and I will also be talking about how President Donald Trump kept using the term “Chinese Virus, My audience will be the American people who lost loved once in due to this horrific pandemic.

9. Dewan

I am now working on a PowerPoint on the campaign of Black Lives Matter. My audience is going to be college students. I’m still doing some analysis on the topic, so I can simplify it down on the PowerPoint. Mainly concentrating on making things small and quick, even adding graphics so that people get a better picture of the subject I am bringing to them. My viewers will know what the campaign of black lives matter and why it was created, as well as how it influenced the world. Identifying the problems and strategies of BLM, also bringing up how us students can make a change.

10. Jean Holmi Germain

In the beginning, I wanted to work on google slides but I realized that PowerPoint is easier for me to present my assignment, it can help me inform, educate, motivate and persuade my audience. with PowerPoint I can use the power of words and images to engage my audience and retain their attention. it is for this reason I chose PowerPoint for my project.
    My assignment is about ACCULTURATION. to present the project, I was obliged to consult different sources in order to be able to give an effective work and convince my audience. Now I begin to find some pictures related to my text and I am thinking about how I should insert them in the text.
    I hope by Monday or Tuesday, I will be done with the project and submit it as faster as possible.

11. Michalis Photiou

During week 12 I am working on a poster which will be based the influence of the media in our lives. I am planning to draw a sketch of people having a conversation and a text explaining how bad the influence of the media is. My audience will be mostly young people (students) .Also I want to include people that already had a negative experience with the influence of the media and explain in the text on how to resolve and help people.

12. Dorline

I am submitting a progress report to let you know how I am doing with my power point presentation. So far, I have gathered together my research and started putting together the slides. I have written most of the power point presentation. In my presentation, I included the history of greenhouse gas emissions. I thought this would be interesting so that my audience could learn how this issue started. I also included what farmers think about climate change since they are directly affected by extreme weather changes. I wish I had found this study early enough to use it in my research project because it is very interesting. It adds another layer to my research question which is, how does climate change affect agriculture?

I am in the process of adding the images to my power point presentation. I think this part is difficult to do because I want to use images that will stir up various emotions in my viewers. If my viewers have an emotional response to this power point presentation I will feel like I have succeeded. I am trying to keep the number of slides down to about 12-13. I had to narrow down the information I collected and use the material I thought would be the most thought provoking. The last thing I want to do is to bore my audience and put them to sleep.

13. Rex Dovolani

During week 12 I was struggling to put ideas together to create a poster for Unit 3. I was trying to gather thoughts and put them together on ways to create a poster for my assignment of climate change. However, I couldnt not find a way to achieve my goal of spreading the message of climate change through a poster. After evaluating other ideas, I decided to change my assignment and will create a PowerPoint presentation. I want to educate the audience with the real task at hand of climate change. I feel like through a powerpoint presentation I can get the true message out to my audience with the most valuable information rather than, with a poster. I am going to include pictures, real life scenarios to keep my audience engaged with the presentation at the same time educating them with a current problem in our world today.

14. Carmelo

Currently, I am continuing to read through my sources and make more meaningful connections between them. As of now, I am experiencing no major issues, largely thanks to the annotated bibliography you instructed us to make. I will continue my work on creating a YouTube video as my project’s mode. Collecting and organizing the resources for the video has been, and will probably still be the most time-consuming part of the project, but I feel confident as I am relatively experienced in video-editing that I will create something worthwhile and thought-provoking!

15. zhouxing shi

In my unit 3 project, I choose to use PowerPoint to present my work which is “Gun control”. So far, I’ve searched a lot about gun control. I’m trying to distribute them logically on each slide of my PowerPoint. Although we work on the same topics in unit 2 and unit 3, I think unit 3 has a lot more work to do. Because in unit 2 I can only focus on three articles, while in unit 3 I need to collect information, pictures and videos extensively from the internet. Now I already have a rough draft, what I have to do next is to put more variety sources in it, so that my work can be conveyed to my audience more visually.

16. Daria Dubovskaia

Frankly, I am bouncing from one style of representation to another. The amplitude is from childish depiction to very serious but boring information, and the goal is to find a sweet point. Although the scenario is somewhat complete, the this is like in chess – each step opens more and more doors in geometrical progression.

17. Isaac

I literally have accomplished so little so far, during week 12 I’ve been struggling to come up with my multimedia project and was stressed over this and a financial analysis project. I have been trying to out this project together and although I believe I will be done either tomorrow or early Wednesday, I’m not really proud of what i have so far. This unit seems so easy at first and I thought it was going to be the easiest one of all 3 because that was what I perceived lol. For this unit I chose to do a Powerpoint presentation because visuals are always the best way to get through to your audience and it is one of the most powerful tools to get someone’s attention.

18. Møh Sillah

This past week what I have done so far was find data sources in which help speak to my claim on police brutality needing to end. I made a PowerPoint presentation that was a sum up of my essay on police brutality. I added in pictures that speak to the topic at hand as well as adding in bullet points to explain what it is, I want readers to understand. I have completed my draft with enough information and sources to make it clear I had and found knowledge on my topic. The PowerPoint is merely an extension of my written paper. It stands as a visual, but holds and includes the same main points.

19. hasimiou

I have selected using PowerPoint as my multimodal platform that would be based on bullying. but things haven’t been going well because there is a lot of information and sources that is needed to be found and still need to start organizing information and putting it together. I will also be adding more images because it is a big part of multimodal. My audience is going to be students and community leaders.

20. Satariac

While week 12 was coming to an end and week 13 fast approaching I struggled with keeping up. I had not gotten very far in my draft at all. In fact I had nothing to even start. I did take advantage of the office hours and that helped spark my imagination and what I might want to cover.