Prof. Jessica Penner | OL12 | Fall 2020

Micro-activity #3 Alisha Roberts

The community that I chose is more on people with birthmarks. People with birthmarks are often stared at, laughed at, or bullied for something they can’t control. As I publicly share about my life, I was born with a facial birthmark, and when I was a little girl, I always thought it did not make me beautiful. Most of the people that I saw at a young age didn’t have a distinctive mark as I did, or it wasn’t as noticeable. Within High school, I was only getting a negative opinion on that from people. By posting pictures on social media and surrounding myself with the right people, I’ve discovered the strength that comes from my birthmark. However, as I continue to mature, I realize that beauty marks add a beautiful splash of color to people wearing them, just like there are different colored species of birds. I realized then that it was lovely to be unique, and it indeed boosted my confidence. Although it has made me confident, it has also made me aware of being compassionate toward others that are different in this world. People often questioned, “would you ever get rid of it?” The truth is I would not even though, at a young age, I didn’t like how different I was, I’ve learned to embrace the beauty in it. Although some people decide to hide it with makeup, I have decided to flaunt it. While embracing it, I decided to reach out to the community of those who may have shared the same birthmark type as me or a birthmark in general. There was a lot to learn about other people’s experiences and what they have been through or what they’ve accomplished while being judged by others who thought that being physically different meant you weren’t intellectual. And I’m proud to have this fantastic opportunity to teach others to through example on true beauty and that its okay to be different, and that society doesn’t define a person’s beauty.

1. Joe

I can understand the challenge. I can understand the emotions, especially in school and at a younger age. The word different also means unique. I really admire how you have developed your self esteem. I applaud you on that.

2. Amanda

Hey Alisha!

I made a connection with your Dc problem! I actually have a big birthmark on the side of my face… Many people would point it out or talk about it and sometimes that would make me very insecure about my birthmark… but stay strong and don’t pay mind to people because something that my mom always told me that the people who make fun of other people are the people who feel the most insecure about themselves.

• Alisha Roberts

Your mom is soo right, but try not to feel insecure. Just remind yourself that you’re beautiful and unique.