“Global Warming Is Making Some Extreme Weather Events Worse.” Nationalacademies.org, The National Academies of Science Engineering Medicine, 8 May 2019, www.nationalacademies.org/based-on-science/climate-change-global-warming-is-contributing-to-extreme-weather-events.

The article identifies the scientific fact and research done, showing that the earth has warmed. The article claims that the increasing warmth is the cause of the more extreme weather we have been seeing. The article claims that global warming can contribute to heat waves, droughts, wildfires, and even heavy/more frequent rain and snowstorms. The warmer the atmosphere becomes, the more likely for hurricanes to develop. Scientists have developed a new way to link specific weather events to a specific global climate change. Making it easier to see what issue is most heavily affecting what region.

I don’t agree or disagree with the text. It isn’t trying to persuade me into believing something rather than expounding on an already known fact. I think the work is interesting. Being able to determine how best to help a specific region by addressing its immediate climate problem. It would cut down on the time used in tracking sources and leave more time to think of solutions. I am curious about how they do it. What clues let them know what is affecting where specifically. I would have to do more research on this newly developed technology in order to answer my question and to understand this article better. If I could meet this author(s) I’d say that this research will help us get to a better place environmentally and hopefully slow down and any major effects of global warming.

“In addition, global warming causes sea level to rise, which increases the amount of seawater, along with more rainfall, that is pushed on to shore during coastal storms. That seawater, along with more rainfall, can result in destructive flooding. While global warming is likely making hurricanes more intense, scientists don’t know yet if global warming is increasing the number of hurricanes each year.”

The national academies of science, engineering, medicine

Glick, Daniel. “Global Climate Change, Melting Glaciers.” Environment, National Geographic, 3 May 2021, www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/big-thaw.

This article speaks about the experience the author had travelling with scientists from the U.S. Geological Survey Global Change Research Program. These scientists have been studying how the glaciers in a U.S. national park are melting for two decades. The article states that President Taft, who created Glacier National Park, created it with approx. 150 glaciers within its territory. Today, those numbers have gone down to less than 30, and the ones remaining have shrunk significantly. The article states that the warming of Earth is one of the major factors for the glaciers melting. The results from the survey conducted suggest the amount of melting that ordinarily happens in what is referred to as geological time, is happening during the span of a human lifetime. The article mentions Mt. Kilimanjaro, whose snows were famous, have now melted down to 80 percent of what they used to be. The article goes on to give effects of what has been proven to be human caused global warming.

I agree with the data presented in the article. I think that it’s insightful in its approach. It’s focusing on one area, mentioning how it has changes significantly over time. It breaks down how the place started and how the decline is reflective of other locations like it. The article also gives the reports of real-life experts that have devoted their career to studying these happenings and how they could progress over time. I like that the author that was there not only took testimony of who did the research but was also present and engaged one on one during the research. Getting hands on experience is a sure way to assure credibility amongst readers.

‘Things that normally happen in geologic time are happening during the span of a human lifetime,” says Fagre. “It’s like watching the Statue of Liberty melt.’

Glick, DanielNational Geographic

Rice, Doyle. “’Alarming’: World’s Glaciers Are Melting Faster than Ever Because of Global Warming, Study Says.” USA Today, Gannett Satellite Information Network, 28 Apr. 2021, www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/04/28/global-warming-worlds-glaciers-melting-faster-than-ever/4872348001/.