Final Reflection

When I registered for this class, part of me thought it was going to be focused solely on improving the English language grammar, vocabulary and general conversation skills. However, it turned out to be a journey through an English writing and communication world that I had never experienced before.

As a former English as a Second Language (ESL) student, it was a little surprising for me when I realized the actual purpose of this class. Despite not having a good English accent or vocabulary, I found myself diving deeper into the English language, focusing on improving my writing skills, and noting the importance of being able to communicate in writing. I also learned a lot of new concepts, like a discourse community, which is basically a group of people who share the same communication ideas and vocabulary. This is something that I’ve been part of for most of my life, but I didn’t know the science behind it. b community was an interesting topic to explore. It made me rethink the numerous ways we communicate in different scenarios.

I also learned the importance of being able to communicate clearly, especially when writing a letter or speech. Nowadays, with the increasing social and political issues affecting our communities, we might have to write a persuasive letter or speech at some point in our professional lives. Therefore, it’s vital that we know how to identify our audience and the type of writing technique that best fits our purpose. This is a skill that I have improved after taking this class. I now feel more confident when writing an assignment, something that has been extremely challenging for me in previous classes. I’m not good at writing. Therefore, I’m glad I have a different feeling now than before taking this class.

I have to say that I had some doubts about taking online classes, as it is something I hadn’t done before. ENG1121 is officially the first online class I’ve ever taken. I remember back on August 25, when classes began. I didn’t know what to react, or what to feel. I was confident and nervous at the same time. I remember having my camera on and introducing myself immediately after joining the zoom meeting. I then realized that was not how online classes work. It took me a few hours to adapt. That was a funny personal experience.