I have decided to write about how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected the mental health of college students.

In my research, I learned that mental health is not taken as seriously compared to physical illnesses/disabilities that people have. I understand that During the pandemic it’s much more important to treat the symptoms, but what about the 16.2 million + adults that suffer from a mental illness? They cannot be ignored. Mental health resources have been cut by 52%, leaving a few facilities on a first come first serve basis. 

• I am curious, why is mental health so ignored? It’s a topic that deserves equal respect as a physical symptom people show, especially during the pandemic. People are social, and being kept indoors has surely made many develop mental illnesses such as depression or anxiety.
  • I’m also curious about how in particular the mental health of college students has been affected? We have all turned to remote learning, and hope we all have a quiet area to learn, but what about the people who don’t have the same opportunities at home?