After reading his speech I can see that Douglass is fighting for that abolishment and ceasing of slavery.

Quote 1: “The madness of this course, we believe, is admitted now, even by England; but we fear the lesson is wholly lost on our present rulers.”

Paraphrase: Enslavement is not a just method of running a country on England admitted to that but our country seems to be slow on the uptake.

Response: This is showing that even a power house like England agreed to some extent with Douglass and that what he is saying is holding a lot of truth.

Quote 2: “The point from which I am compelled to view them is not, certainly, the most favorable; and yet I cannot contemplate their great deeds with less than admiration. They were statesmen, patriots and heroes, and for the good they did, and the principles they contended for, I will unite with you to honor their memory.

Paraphrase: Even though I am looking at them from a position of slaves the lives they led were worth every drop of respect and admiration earned and that can never be taken from them.

Response: I believe that this is showing that the men and women who were enslaved were people of strong character and lead good lives even as slaves which was one of the hardest things to do back then but they still did it because they are a hardworking and resilient people.