Quote 1: “As we move from one DC to another, our verbal and social behavior adapts to the new environment, but I do not believe that this necessarily implies that we adopt new identities, or that we are somehow merely an aggregation of different personae.”

I found this quote interesting as it applies to the first topic we discussed in class Amy Tan’s “Mother Tongue”, which addressed how people would behave and speak differently depending on who they are talking to or where they are. similar to that Swales mentions how their verbal and social behavior changes to their new environment, but it is still the same person and their same personality that is speaking. He dismisses the idea that someone is putting up a figurative mask in these changing environments.

Quote2; “Discourse community both influence and are influenced by the larger communities within which they are situated.”

I found this quote interesting as Swales relates it to how a community of students would influence the surrounding town by causing the creation of services for the students to prop up. This further emphasizes his point about how discourse communities are not static and thus one of the ways they can be changed is through the influence of outside communities.