Brown and beige brick wall with a cement base decorated iwth white, blue, and red square tiles that look like an alien from a vintage video game
alien eyes” by John Keogh via Flickr CC BY-NC 2.0

Before class on Monday, students will…

• Continue working on Parts 1 and 2.
  • Part 2 of the peer review is on Monday and the final draft is due Monday at 11:59pm!

During class on Monday, we will…

• Be prompt! If you come to class more than 10-15 minutes late, you cannot be guaranteed a partner.
  • Peer review each other’s work, using the same document I provided on Wednesday (or come up to get a worksheet if you missed class last week).
  • When the document is complete, students will return the document to the peer they reviewed. Have a quick chat about your responses.
    • Both of you must come to the front and show the document to me for low-stakes writing points!
  • For the remainder of class, students will review their peer’s notes and work on finalizing their U3 project.
    • If you want me to review your project and provide suggestions, come up and talk to me!
  • If you’re ready to submit U3, keep scrolling and look at the directions on how to post!

Homework

• Submit the U3 project by 11:59PM on Monday, 5/6. Please follow the directions carefully:
    • Create a post titled Full Name, U3 Writing Assignment. Save it under the category U3 Work.
    • In the textbox:
      • Save Part 1 as necessary before uploading. For example, PDF for a text-based or picture-based submission; if it’s an animation or video, save it as needed–practice uploading the project BEFORE the due date or put the URL link in the post; if you’re unsure what to save your Part I under, ask me by Monday class time or come to my office hour at 2pmdo not frantically email me at 11:30PM on Monday, since I will be asleep by this point.
        • If Part 1 of your document (the brochure, street art, etc.) is too large to be uploaded (there is a 10MB limit), you must put the following note in your post: “Part 1 Has been emailed to the Professor.”
        • You MUST title the email with the following SUBJECT TITLE (NO BLANK SUBJECT LINES—I will dock 20 points if you send a blank subject line and doesn’t have your full name and what is being sent): Full Name, Part 1 of U3.
        • This email MUST be sent by the due date of this assignment! No exceptions!
      • In the same post, save your Part 2 Reflection Essay. Use the U3 Reflection Template under the Course Profile > File Library > ENG1101 Writing Templates. Save the draft as a PDF before uploading it.
        • Need a reminder on how that’s done? There’s a PowerPoint in the Course Profile titled “How to Upload U1.” Follow the steps provided, just save it under U3 instead!

During class on Wednesday, we will…

• Review Assignment Guidelines for the Revision and Final Reflection.
  • Revision: You may revise one of major units for a higher grade at the end of the semester. Your new grade entirely replaces your old grade.
  • In order to earn a higher grade, you must repost your improved U1, 2, or 3 with the following title: Full Name, Revision of UX and save it under the category Final Reflection and Revision.
    • What do I mean when I say, “improved”?
    • An improved writing assignment shows that you obviously read my comments and/or rubric carefully and made the suggested changes.
      • For example, some students didn’t follow the required template for U2 Reflective Annotated Bibliography at all or only partially, thus they lost significant points. An improved assignment will follow the template and add the missing elements.
    • This is not required. If you’re satisfied with the grades you earned in the Major Writing Assignments, then don’t worry about this!
    • Be warned: If you do turn in an assignment but do not show it is significantly improved, you may earn a lower grade!
      • Why? Because I’ve shown you through my comments and/or rubric what you needed to do, and only making small changes with that assignment isn’t a significant improvement!
      • Please come see me during office hours if you’re confused about my comments or you’d like additional feedback.
      • If you want to earn 10 points of extra credit, visit the Writing Center! Just be sure to ask the tutor to email me when you’ve visited.
  • The Final Reflection is required and will be written in Blue Books on May 20. (Consider this like a final exam for a math or bio class–if you miss the class, you miss the exam!) However, we’re going to spend time in class preparing for this exam!
  • Today, we’re going to brainstorm for the Final Reflection by doing the following activity:
  • Look at the reflection questions below. Choose one and freewrite as much as possible for 30 minutes. If you finish before time’s up, choose another! This freewrite will help you prepare for your Final Reflection:
    • Overall: What did you expect to learn in this class? What did you actually learn? How do you feel about the class and what you have learned now that the semester is almost over?
    • Reader: Think back (and scroll through our Agendas) to the reading assignments we’ve covered. Choose at least one that was memorable/powerful to you. Write about that text. Explain why/how it influenced your thinking/writing this semester.
    • Writer: What was your experience when revising assignments? Give an example from your work of a sentence, paragraph, or idea that you changed. Quote both the original and the new versions and explain what you changed and why.
  • Keep this freewrite handy, because it will help with the homework for next week!

Looking forward to next week…

• Based off the freewrite you completed, gather the following material for next week:
  • Monday: Have the reading assignment you found memorable/powerful ready to share with a partner. Be ready to answer the following questions:
    • What have you learned about yourself as a reader this semester through this text?
    • Give a specific example from the text that illustrates (shows) what you’ve learned.
  • Wednesday: Choose one of the three Major Writing assignments to discuss with a partner. Be ready to answer the following questions:
    • How have you changed as a writer this semester? Give a specific example from one of the Major Writing assignments you’ve written that illustrates what you’ve learned.
    • Hint: Think back to feedback you got from a partner during the peer reviews, from me, or a Writing Center tutor. What advice was given? Contrast your work before and after the feedback came your way.
  • A question that we’ll discuss as a class on both Monday and Wednesday is:
    • How will you transfer this knowledge about yourself to other reading/writing tasks, assignments, or situations either in college or in your community? Give a specific example.
  • Note that these are the questions you’ll need to answer in your in-person Reflection Essay on May 20!