Green-lit photo with a black rectangle that has the word "WRITING" written 3 letters per line
Writing” by Berk Hakim via Flickr CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

Before class on Tuesday…

During class on Tuesday…

Write:

• Complete a worksheet titled “My Shitty First Draft”. You can find it under Course Profile > File Library > ENG1101 Handouts > My Shitty First Draft.
    • This document will help guide you through writing your first draft of the Education Narrative, which is due 10/12!
  • Continue working on your Education Narrative.

Before class on Thursday…

• Continue drafting your Education Narrative.
  • If you’d like me to look at your essay, come visit me during my office hour on Wednesday from 1-2pm!

During class on Thursday, we will…

Write:

• Have your copy of “My Shitty First Draft” as well as a copy of your Education Narrative (either digital or paper) on hand.
  • We’ll review the worksheet in small groups for a short period of time.
  • Next, work on revising Unit 1: Education Narrative on your own for a specified amount of time. We’re going to do a quick peer review, so please spend the time wisely!
  • Email whatever you’ve written to the assigned peer. When you receive your partner’s draft, quickly read and respond to the following questions.
    • The important educational moment in your life was [fill in the blank]
    • Your essay got me thinking about [fill in the blank] 
    • I was confused here when you wrote [fill in the blank] because [fill in the blank]
    • I wanted to know more about [fill in the blank]
    • One thing you need to work on to improve your draft is (paragraphs / spelling / transition words between paragraphs / word choice / capitalization of proper nouns / adding quotes to make the narrative stronger)
  • Write the answers to the above questions in an email to your assigned peer and me (jpenner@citytech.cuny.edu) before you leave for the day!

After Thursday’s class, do the following…

• Review your partner’s comments. Review the following items online as you work on a second draft:
  • Find a place where you can describe a person, place, or action/event using vivid description. Consider all five senses and add at least two to that description.
  • Find two places where you can add dialogue and do so.

Looking to next week…

Websites to review as you write: