While reading How to Read Like a Writer by Mike Bunn, I noticed literary techniques would be referenced throughout the essay while asking the reader to observe how effective the techniques are. I like that Bunn was aware of the student audience that would read his essay and I found it helpful that he showed off the same methods he was explaining. Bunn explains the importance of analyzing an author’s choices before transitioning to the effectiveness of adding a quote to an essay. “Imagine what different choices the author might have made instead, and what effect those different choices would have on readers. Say you’re reading an essay in class that begins with a short quote from President Barack Obama about the war in Iraq. As a writer, what do you think of this technique?”(Bunn,72-73). By asking the reader a series of questions, Bunn is opening minds to the idea of writerly choices and how they influence us as both readers and writers. The essay goes further by suggesting that readers should further evaluate Bunn’s own use of quotes. The writing appeals to me because he was aware of exactly what readers would take away from his essay and he made sure readers knew too. I never thought to engage readers with quotes, rhetorical questions, and different scenarios to reach an intended student audience. Bunn is effective in the way in which readers are constantly asked to evaluate the text and how they would use techniques themselves.