Maturing as a writer, reader, and researcher is what I have accomplished in this semester, and I can confidently say that my peers agree with my opinion. The high school curriculum for English classes was very linear even from grades nine to twelve one would think that as you move on, they would see change such was not the case. Instead, it was just a cycle of read a book, report on it, or write a research paper on the provided topic. There was no freedom in the one class one would think they can write or read whatever. Entering college, I felt that English all would be the same as my high school experience however, I would be proved wrong as the course urged me to always give my two cents on any topic there was no right or wrong every class was a discussion on how we can learn off other peers’ opinions. Furthermore, I would like to display how Professor Penner gave us the chance to read materials and let us choose on what we should do with it. In this I found the freedom I previously mentioned, the freedom to do what I want and share my thoughts no matter how wrong or right as the only criticism could be my writing style. I found myself having more fun writing tedious essays and when I see my writing I felt as if my writing had changed. I was more adept at constructing thorough and concise paragraphs in which I wanted my thoughts to be clear and very understandable to my audience. This also reflected my reading skills as the more I knew how to write this would mirror on how well I can understand a reading. For example, in unit one we did a reading of Plato a text in which my comprehension of it was very vague but as time progress writing stellar essays complimented by Professor Penner, such text was easy as a children’s book. This relationship on how my writing and reading have been proving is mostly credited to once more the freedom I was given. I learned that the ability to expand your writing and reading skills come solely from the interest of what I am writing. If I were enjoying learning more about the topic, I am to create a essay on, my writing matches that enthusiasm constructing complex sentences in which I can tell my interest is on full display. Overall, my reading and writing skills has been drastically improved upon which was caused by motivation and intrigue I find in what I read this evolution in my skills shows me that I am capable of change as long as I put my mind towards it with no strings attached. My writing skills reinforce the fact that I do not write because I have to rather, I want to write on my interests. My ever-growing mastery on my skills translate on to my other classes as ever since I found myself thoroughly enjoying reading pieces in ENG1101 this enjoyment would transform to motivation allowing me to enjoy my other classes. For instance, during unit 1 on where we would write an education narrative, I took to heart the examples given

to us especially Malcom X’s, I was moved by his story and my work reflected his experiences. However, when I was writing my education narrative in a very enthusiastic mood I came to a pause and asked myself why am I writing this? The answer was simple it was a reminder, “you become more apparent in yourself, and your thoughts think of the future you are making with the education you are to receive.” Plain and simple quoting my own work reflected on how I far I came as a writer to the point where my skills transfer to other classes where my work ethic is thorough as my writing. My educational narrative is a mirror and a measure as to where I have reached as a writer and reader. The work I have done in unit 2 was my cocoon to become what I am now the newfound freedom of writing about what I want allowed me to construct my thoughts into complex short summaries. My emergence came in unit 3 where I was the one to determine how I can portray my thoughts through multimodal genres this was my personal test as seen, “I truly think this podcast format is best choice overall even if its exhausting options of writing it lets me speak in a unrestrained tone which serves one purpose to inform the taxpayers about my thoughts and findings all while they get more curious as me creating a cycle of research on this topic.” I believe my writing and reading skills will continue to evolve and I thank this class for this as the influence it had on me was indescribable. The work I did here was from my motivation which allowed me to take on my other dreadful classes. Thank you, Professor Penner, for allowing us to change into someone who can appreciate the work we do and have fun with it.