Prof. Jessica Penner | D438 | Fall 2022

My writing process by Luis Perozo

My writing process is constant procrastination. Followed by worrying about the essay. And then on the last day, binge writing and finishing it 1 minute before it’s due. What i would like to change is the procrastination because you cant do that in college and get away with it.

1. Luis

ENG1101

Shitty First Drafts

Work on your own “shitty first draft”! Look at the material you’ve generated through brainstorming and freewriting and use the process below to help you form your writing into a draft. 

Respond to each of the questions/prompts and the direction at the end of this document! 

First, answer the following questions: 

1. What have you decided to focus on for your education narrative? Why have you chosen to tell this particular story?

The time I first came to the US and its effect on my mental health and education.

1. What is the meaning/significance of your story? Why should people read it? Write this out in one sentence.

The significance is the troubles of learning a new language and adapting to new environments. People should read it because it fairly relatable.

1. In one word, how do you want people to feel when they are done reading your story? 

I want them to feel informed and ready to tackle their learning.

1. Freewrite details you remember about the situation you are describing: include people, places, dialogue, feelings, thoughts, etc. that are in some way connected to your story.

I came to the US in 2008 in the month of October. Together with my 2 sister and brother. My father who had already been here before us, had come to pick us up at the airport with his father and the grandfather we had never met before that day. 

Second, review what you have so far and try to label the features of your narrative arc. 

1. Exposition/Inciting Incident (who, what, when, where and how does your story begin?)

Ny airport

1. Rising Action (you should include a lot of the story details here)

Realizing that I didn’t understand a nick of English and being enrolled in school.

1. Climax (the moment of most drama and significance)

The constant disappointment of my father and myself.

1. Falling Action (what happened after?)

The decline of my mental health, my behavioral issues, and my bad decisions.

1. Resolution (what was the result of this experience? What is the significance?)

My mother arriving in Ny and teaching me herself.