Prof K Pelka :Tuesday 12:00 - 3:20

1st Discussion

Angela Hazlewood

1. Discuss how does Dawoud Bey approach the idea of using photography as a way of finding his voice. Describe one of his projects and the impact he sought to create with that project.
Dawoud Bey has hearing loss and uses photography as a way to compensate for his lost sense. Doing this allowed him to “see the world more than most people”. He is able to express himself thoroughly through realism and abstract photography. In one of his projects, he uses shadows and dark light to demonstrate how slaves would be traveling through the woods to freedom. He wanted to capture the image through the slaves point of view. This gives viwers a taste of the slave experience.
2. Discuss how Carrie Mae Weems uses photography to find her voice.Describe the kitchen table project and the impact that she sought to create with the project.
Carrie Mae uses photography to tell a story through her photographs. The kitchen table series embodies femininity and reclaims the social standard of a woman. She uses photography to voice the misconceptions of a woman at a kitchen table. Her ultimate goal was to show the power a woman has beyond cleaning, cooking, and looking pretty.
3. How can you find your own voice ?
I can find my own voice by expressing myself authentically through my art. I can also find my voice by not limiting myself to what visually makes sense. The use of nature, experiences, and emotion can bring those things out.

1. Ken Pelka

Excellent ideas.