ENG 1101LC – “Writing the Recipe of Opportunity”

“A course in effective essay writing and basic research techniques including use of the library. Demanding readings assigned for classroom discussion and as a basis for essay writing.”

Course Synopsis

Writing the Recipe of Opportunity: Hospitality, Writing, and You invites you to explore and share your passion for hospitality and food by taking the required courses of HMGT 1101, HMGT 1102, and ENG 1101 together as a learning community! Together with other Hospitality Management students, you will practice the essential foundations of what it means to be a hospitality professional. You will explore deeply what brought you to this field, how to think about your own interests, how to communicate your ideas in the most useful ways, and how share your goals as a professional to the widest audience possible. If you are ready to discover opportunity, this learning community will have the right recipe of experiences to help you feed your career!”

Selected Student Feedback

“[T]he essays I had to do in this class made me step out of my comfort zone and express my thoughts through my writing. I worked on it on my own without having others telling me if I was on the right path. This helped change the idea I had of myself because it allowed me to be proud of where my work stood, the feedback was great too which proved that I have it in me to do good work and I shouldn’t overthink my writing decisions.” – M.E. (2020)

“If there is one thing I learned in this course is that we are not always going to get handed a sample on how to do things. This was the first English class (and class overall) where I was given an assignment without a sample, or without being told exactly what to do….I learned to trust myself and to truly think outside the box. That phrase is always used, but I never really understood it until I did not even have a box to work with. Moving forward, I have to keep learning to find my own path.” – M.T. (2020)

Course Documents

Below you will find documents from my ENG 1101-LC course taught with HMGT in the Fall 2020 semester. This particular course was designed as an online asynchronous course delivered over Zoom and OpenLab with Google Drive used for file exchange.

Syllabus

Assignments

Course Materials

OpenLab

[Go Back to Teaching at City Tech]

[Go Forward to ENG1101LC – “Psychology + Writing]