What Others Say About My Teaching

What Students Say About My Teaching

In my Courses Taught section, I highlight some of the feedback I have received from students in my formative course assessments and 360-degree feedback. Comments I have received on my Student Evaluation of Teaching (SET) evaluations mirror the positive feedback I have received from my own evaluations.

Here is a recent selection:

“Highly influenced my way of thinking.” – ENG 1161 (Spring 2019)

“Professor Corbett is always available for help, was always very encouraging and understanding. There was a big amount of coursework, but it was all very helpful to us in our learning. The class and class files were well organized and he always kept us up to date with everything going on in the class and in the school.” – ENG 1101 (Fall 2020)

“I am the lucky one who had a chance to take one of the courses which professor Patrick teaches, he is really the best, I enjoyed every class he have taught. Thanks to him for giving students a chance to learn more and for those students who became more interested in a subject! I wish colleges would have more professor like Patrick Corbett! I appreciate him always being available to speak.” – ENG 2400 (Fall 2020)

“I regret that this semester has come to a conclusion. Initially apprehensive about wasting time taking a film course, I enrolled apprehensively.. I could never have imagined the wealth of knowledge, That would be imparted upon me by the professor. More than a professor, but a mentor, and I would be remiss if I didn’t state, I am 8n my mid-50s. Truly a pleasure!!!” – ENG 2400 (Fall 2020)

While comments are typically few on SETs, and course scores can vary from semester-to-semester based on a number of factors, a quick plot of the 16 SET scores I have in my files from the last five years show that 14 of them (88%) are significantly above the departmental average. All are 4.3 and above.

A line plot of my SET scores from Fall 2015 to Fall 2020.

SET scores plotted by course and compared to the departmental average (continuous brown line).

Beyond SET scores and my own solicitation of 360-degree feedback, I also get anonymous hand-written notes from students, such as “You are a breathe of fresh air seriously thank you for being an awesome person/professor. You left a mark today with all the students. You rock!” and “You’ve been a great professor! Continue your hard work. Thank you!”

What Faculty Say About My Teaching

I value tremendously the generous and insightful feedback I receive from my colleagues who observe and evaluate my teaching. I have included some representative comments from my evaluations below, which indicate the overall effectiveness of my significant investment in the design of my courses and the classes I teach.

“The level of discussion was both sophisticated and down to earth. Professor Corbett was able to use students’ shared knowledge to help them see beyond overt persuasive attempts and to notice the more nuanced ways that language serves to influence and manipulate thinking in ordinary daily life. An important lesson, to be sure.” — ENG 1161 (Fall 2017)

“Professor Corbett’s comfort with his students is obvious. Equally obvious is his comfort with various modes of instruction and with his subject matter. He led the class with a combination of self-assurance, humility, authority, and humor that seemed to promote student effort and confidence. This was a useful and satisfying class meeting.” — ENG 2575 (Spring 2018)

“Prof. Corbett was able to transition seamlessly between the assignment itself and issues surrounding metacognition and reflection on the writing process. He was adept in explaining the importance of the essay students were about to work on, not only in the context of the academic environment and class but also in the professional arena….” — ENG 1101 (Spring 2019)

When I receive suggestions for improvement, they are almost always valuable ideas for resources, examples, or techniques I can use to connect students to course material or maintain their focus.