Week 15 – Wiring COMPLETE! (Not a bomb)

The Jacket [pictured inside out]:  I finally got a HUGE bulk of the wiring on the jacket done (99.9%) — the rest will be done tomorrow when I get the connector I need. What’s about the jacket’s design is that it is modular. Meaning that if any component fails for whatever reason it can be relatively easily removed and/or replaced. But to get the wiring done in a way so that it looks clean, wears comfortably, AND is functional was certainly a challenge. Especially for the wires running up the sleeves. But I completed it and am damn proud of it (I just hope it all turns on tomorrow! baghh).

The Enclosures:  2 usb terminals are required for this project (1 for each battery pack). Each need some kind of enclosure. I made one of the two using the thick plastic bag that the wires came in + some thin cardboard + electrical tape, all wrapped around the battery pack (See Randi’s pic for reference) — I think MacGyver would be proud. For the 2nd enclosure I used the spare Arduino enclosure and hacked it with my dremel. It now sports a whole that would perfectly fit a usb (type B) port. The enclosure can then sit comfortably in one of the pockets where we can easily plug in a usb cable for power to the LED strips.

One thing I think saved A LOT of hassle and confusion was labeling EVERYTHING. Every junction, every end, etc. Just to keep track as I put it all together. Now all that’s left is to grab the Arduino (with shield attached) and get these wires all hooked up. Which should be easy now since we know what wire belong to what LED strip.

Below is the teaser trailer, in case anyone missed it. We’re looking to begin shooting our demo video right after class today. The end result will look much different from this. Should be fun.

6 Responses to Week 15 – Wiring COMPLETE! (Not a bomb)

1. michaelp85 says:

Cannot wait to see the final product. Think the Idea is great and you have all worked really hard to get it to this stage. Are you planning on a way to better fit the leds onto the jacket. Perhaps a strip of cloth to hide them and direct the light in the direction you want the light to travel in.

2. Yaro says:

Great video, guys! What software did you use to create it?

3. 37337 says:

It looks jazzy, and I like how you did the wiring, slick! MacGyver def. WOULD be proud! I’m sure the NSA likes your post as well 😉

4. TEKKNEO says:

Well, for it being in the prototype stage the LED’s are concealed pretty well. For the ones on the lapel I experimented with placing a piece of felt cloth over it. It, naturally, affected the overall brightness. So it’s just a matter of getting the right kind of fabric.

5. TEKKNEO says:

Thanks, Yaro. I used final cut pro 7 to edit the video. It was a rushed job (about 15 minutes total), but I had to get it done in time for the presentation. heheh

6. TEKKNEO says:

Thanks man. I gotta say, even AFTER having done the diagram and really thinking things through it was still a bit tricky figuring out the paths to take, slack to compensate for, etc AND make sure it was still comfortable and functional. I’m still crossing my fingers that things won’t go haywire (see what I did there) come presentation time.