Journal Post #? – More Parts + Wiring Prep

Like Michael, I too had a productive day. But alas, not without completing what seemed like a Harold & Kumar-esque journey. Below are the final pieces to the puzzle I was able to obtain for the project.

Pictured above are:
– (1) 100ft. spool of 24G single conductor mounting wire.
– 16ft 24G wire single conductor mounting wire (x8 – various colors)
– 32ft 24G single conductor mounting wire (red)
– 32ft 24G single conductor mounting wire (black)
– Wireless Proto Shield for Arduino (Product Description + Spec Sheet)
– 30″ Sew-On Velcro (x4)
– Fabric Glue
– 2 yards of metallic silver lamé

I realize that it may seem like a heck of a lot of wiring. But considering we need several conductors for each connection point traveling all over the jacket (see diagram below), I quickly realized that the more I have, the merrier. Besides, any left over could surely be used for future projects. As for the lamé, the idea is to use this fabric under and around the LED’s for added “brightness” as the lights reflect off of it. This could potentially eliminate the need for having to add more LED strips (ie. more parts, more power needed, etc.). My only concern is that the fabric is supposed to be slightly conductive. How much so? It’s not clear. But I only plan to use it if it’s actually useful and, of course, safe. Hopefully all the precious wiring will be well insulated and protected. As for how I’m going to wire this sucka…

One additional note about the wiring diagram. We may not even get to wire up #8 (the bottom set of LED’s).  This section of the jacket, comprised of 3 segments of LED strips, requires its own battery. We do happen to have a 3rd battery (mine), but it may be too much of a burden on the single Arduino. More tests needed.

One Response to Journal Post #? – More Parts + Wiring Prep

1. stephanie s says:

I like the way you laid out the wiring. I think It is going to look great! Can’t wait to see it in action.