Week 14 – Conceptual Animated GIF & USB Terminals

I decided to make a rough animated gif of the areas on the jacket we want to light up (for a visual reference). The basic idea is that we could rotate through colors and program in chase patterns, etc.

LEDJACKET

Upon looking over the parts we have so far, I noticed that my 2nd (backup) enclosure for the Arduino could possibly be used to hold the usb terminal that the LED strips connect to along with a good chunk of the wiring. Our portable battery charger then plugs right into the USB port. There are 2 possible configurations. One is to cut out an opening on the side of the enclosure for the usb port (Option #1) and the other is to have the usb port accessed through the top by removing the lid (Option #2). Both have pros and cons, but I’ll check with the rest of the guys and see what they think.

5 Responses to Week 14 – Conceptual Animated GIF & USB Terminals

1. The concept gif is an excellent form of documentation for this project.

I am also happy to see you worked out two possible alternatives, documented them and then are meeting with your group to decide which to take. Design is really a matter of making a series of interconnected informed choices. You clearly lay out the trade-offs of each option so you can determine its impact to the project as a whole. This an excellent methodology.

2. Yaro says:

Great GIF!! I’m gonna still your idea for the next year Burning Man outfit:)

3. Frank Mason says:

Wow, this GIF gives me a clear picture of what you guys are doing with this project. I must say, I am impressed with your style of documentation and ideas. But I just want to know, are there gonna be more lights along the outside of the jacket?
    Who knows, maybe down the road when this semester is over, you could put more lights on the jacket and start your own designer brand of LED Jackets.

4. TEKKNEO says:

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Most people, myself included, are very visual when it comes to understanding how something is supposed to go together. Having something like this as reference just helps sort things out better in my head.

Irene, great idea for a great event! heheh

Frank, the glow from the LED’s you see are inconspicuously hidden in their respective pockets, etc. There were no plans to attach LED’s on the outside simply because we were going for an “incognito” effect. “Business man by day, party DJ by night”….see our final project video coming soon for more.

5. Yaro says:

gosh, I wrote “still” instead of “steal”! I meant “steal” of course.