Day 10- 6/18/24

IMG_4774Today we split into groups and went on a macaron tour with our guide Johnny. We visited  Richart, Laduree, Thevenin, George Larnicol, and Mulot. These are the flavors I tried in order of the shops we visited: blueberry, passion fruit, praline, bergamot, and raspberry. We each got one macaron per store and then sat on the grass of Jardin du Luxembourg and compared them together. The passion fruit from Laduree was my favorite. Afterward, we all reconvened in the breakfast room at the hotel for a wine tasting with Tanisha Townsend. She tested our knowledge and made the experience very fun and interactive. IMG_4770

Photo Collage

Our day began approximately at 6:45 today when we loaded onto a bus and made our way to Champagne, France—a special thank you to our sponsor, Julia Child Foundation, for today’s excursion. We were able to take advantage of visiting two separate wineries, both known for being family-owned vineyards. Our first stop was at the Champagne Duval-Leroy vineyards. The director, who overlooks all the vineyards, had us walk into some of the vineyards to learn a bit more about the winery’s history & viticulture background and how climate has influenced the growing seasons of the grapes. On the walk over, I didn’t include him in the pictures because I forgot, but I named a snail I found and took photos of the snail with flowers. Later on, I felt slightly guilty for ordering the escargot.

Lunch was a great and well-needed break between the two tours, as it was a few hours for the first tour, and I accidentally forgot to bring some breakfast. I enjoyed the escargot with scrambled eggs, I believe it was the best I’ve tried! This cod filet fell apart on the fork and melted in your mouth with the perfect contrast of the crunchy fried exterior. It was finished with a pannacotta topped with wild berries that complimented the lightness of the panna cotta.

Our Champagne tasting in the Duval-Leroy was an experience I would never forget. I’ve tasted the difference in the “cru” wines, from Premier to Gran, and had more Photo Collageexperience with the tasting process. As gorgeous as the facilities were at the Duval-Leroy, the second vineyard, Champagne Geffroy Winery, was a more intimate experience. It felt very personable and way more inviting for questions and learning about the winery passed down through a few generations. Something interesting is that the family’s second daughter is currently intrigued by traveling, exploring different reds worldwide, and looking for ways to improve her family’s vineyard.

I went to Sainte-Chapelle with Daniel in the afternoon. It was definitely much needed because I was feeling homesick. The chapel was very beautiful, and there was an indescribable feeling once you stepped inside.

After visiting the chapel, we walked around and met up with some friends. We did some shopping around arrondissement 1 area, which had a lot of thrift stores. Today was just what I needed to feel refreshed and ready for the week ahead.

Today was a lovely mellow and exciting day with friends, I headed out of the hotel in the early afternoon after getting ready with Deysi, Daniel, Lesli, and Bryn. The weather was chilly, sometimes windy, sometimes rain, and mostly cloudy with a sprinkle of sun here and there. we headed to the Jardin du Plantes and walked around. there were fewer flowers than expected but it was most likely because of the unpredictable weather. we walked into their free exhibition of mineralogy where we found giant magical crystals to look through. right after we just headed out to the streets, looking for shops and exploring the 5th arrondissement and what it offered. after some shopping, we headed to the folie crab to have my first seafood boil and i would give it a decent 7/10.  The low score is for the service but the food was good. It was spicy and juicy and taught me lessons of patience. We then headed to a cute Peruvian place that sold good empanadas. We then rode towards the train to catch our amazing boat ride across the Seine River. The place were we saw the Eiffel Tower shine.

Day 6 (June 14th) CERPOC

June 14th,2024

Wow! What a commute! 3 trains. Today we went to our CERPOC cooking class. This was the last day of our first week and it was certainly showing on people’s faces in the morning but we persevered! This was one of the activities I was most excited about as I deeply miss being in the kitchen.

Ettiene was the director and gave us a back story of the CERPOC program. It used to be just a program for catering but over 50 years has opened up to other disciplines such as butchery and pizza making. We met

Our chef and went on to make quenelles (pillowy fish balls in the shape of an oval) in a lobster based cream sauce garnished with asparagus, whipped arugula espuma, microgreens and carrot puree. We also made a composed salad of artichoke hearts, pickled onions, asparagus stems, olive oil and salt. It had been a while since I’d de-choked an artichoke so I really had to dust off the cobwebs! The dishes came out great and we were treated to a lovely lunch with wine and dessert, courtesy of the CERPOC staff and the students who were completing their dining room class. In the end their hospitality was taken one step

Further when they surprised us with commemorative diploma’s certifying out training in the master class. We worked hard  but the feeling of a job well done afterwards is always unbeatable!

(pictures pending)

Day 2 of the Program – (Marché d’Aligré)

Today we meet Professor Zinder at Ledru-Rollin.  She briefly explained the history of the location.  This location had been the site of various wood working craftsman.  To date there are still landmarks that identify the trade.  Professor Zinder pointed out the sign “Ebenisterie D’Art Rinck” one of the last remaining signs identifying the former tradesman.  Following this introduction we went to blé sucré where she explain the history of the croissant.  Afterwards we went to Marché d’Aligré market which is the location of three street markets.  One being an outdoor flea market, another being an fruit market and the last one was an indoor market.  We compared the prices of the items from the stands.  Next we took a tour of the Place de la Batille and Place des Vosges.

First day in Paris – (Eiffel Tower)

Today we went on a tour to the Eiffel Tower led by Professor Zinder where she told us about the history of the Eiffel Tower and how it came to be. We also walked around the neighboring area and observed the Seine River. Lastly, we stopped to talk and introduce ourselves a little more to  everyone and we got to learn about Professor Zinder and Professor Abreu as well.

Our last night

Bouillon Republic

Friday afternoon

Petit Lobby

Petit Palais

Petit Palais Entrance

Today I woke up at 9 AM for our early check out with Professor Abreu to make sure we have all kitchen area supplies in stock and to see if our bags were packed. Then we headed to the first restaurant to ever open up in France the Bouillon Republic. This is where we said our last goodbyes to Professor Zinder. Then we are headed out to get last minute souvenirs and treats for our travel back home. Mellisa, Erin and I went to one of my Favorite locations Sacre Coeur to buy get our chocolate and macaroons from Maison George Larnicol. We chose this macaroon shop because it was the most crunchy and long lasting macaroon in our macaron tour. Last week Friday.  We also went to a small organic soap store and purchased some cute bathroom decorative soaps. Then we went back to the hotel to cook our last dinner and we went to see the Eiffel tower light up for the last time. Follow me @NoahmyNoah on Instagram to see my Entire Journey Studying Abroad in France.

Last day in Paris

Bonjour,

Early morning everyone had room checkouts before having a group lunch. I’m extremely upset that it’s our last day in Paris, three weeks flew by fast. So we ended up eating at Bouillon Pigalle, a casual dining room experience with various options of starters, main courses and deserts. The whole group were divided into four tables.

Overall, I expected more from the menu because of the atmosphere and table setup. Everything tasted decent but most importantly the time we shared as a group. We all shared memories and conversations with each other for the last day of the trip and wish you stayed longer. Professors, Zinder, Pericles and Abreu did an amazing job guiding us through the whole tour and supporting our careers. I’m thankful for the family we have become and guiding each others to make right decision. Lastly, the group decided to buy a gift to well earned professors for their courage and dedication to the program and for making this experience memorable for us. I hope this message inspires students to travel one more time to Paris because of how it has affected our life in a beneficial way.