Remember My Childhood

Muthahar Nasim

Date :3/12/15

Remembering my childhood on the continent of Africa

5 things you observed:

• The story is based on comparing and contrasting lives of author his friend Hugh’s lives.
  • Hugh’s life has full of events where he exceeded what was reasonable or appropriate.
  • David was civilized with an average normal American life in North Carolina.
  • Hugh story about going on a field trip to a slaughterhouse as a kid, something that would traumatic for kids in author’s society in his childhood shows the difference of their lives.
  • The author was envious about his friend Hugh’s life in the story but it also made him learn to realize someone else is also envious of his life just like the way he is desirous of Hugh’s life. He realized he should be happy and satisfied with his life.

3 Compelling Moments:

1) Hugh’s story about being in a slaughterhouse for a field trip at a young age.

2) I found this story to be compelling because it shows as we grow older we stop being envious of our friend’s childhood and start embracing and understand our own.

3) Hugh going to Ethiopia to live with a beer enthusiast whom his father met at a cocktail party at the age of 14.

Question:

I wonder if Hugh’s childhood story was an exaggeration by the author?

Purpose: The purpose of this story to show the audience that we always want what we don’t or didn’t have even though ours might be better than the one we are envious about.