superman and me

Vanessa Espin

Superman and me by Sherman Alexie

As I started reading, I thought the story was going to be about someone with a passion for comic books. But after the first paragraph I realized that it was much more deeper and complex then that. This story gives the reader a clear picture of perseverance. It connect it with me by leading me into his shoes, the story of a small boy who picked up a book and found a scape from the future that his community and family had written for him. He refused to live under their expectations and decided to take the first step to eliminate a stereotype that his own people had brought upon themselves. The author finishes the story with a desperate need to open your eyes and make you see that a brighter future is always starring right at you.

I found it compelling when he said, “He might have been called a prodigy. But he is an Indian boy living on the reservations and is simply an oddity.” As if he felt that his own people were not giving him any support, instead he was known as a person who is weird and not worth admiring. In their eyes he was a failure.

I also found interesting when he said “ I say to them “books” I say. I throw my weight against their locked doors. The doors hold. I am smart. I am arrogant. I am lucky. I am trying to save our lives.” This is a very strong message. He is giving his everything to make children understand that there is always a way out and is threw knowledge. It is the answer to their insecurities and doubts.

I believe the author wrote this story to send very important message to the reader. That no matter the situation a person might find itself in, education is the key to success and progress. This country offers free education and opportunities so why are we ignoring it. We should realize how lucky and fortunate we are and stop letting people crush or interrupt our dreams.