Ethics in Design 2

Designed by Freepik

Part A

After reviewing and analyzing the readings on ethical guidelines and values, it has brought more knowledge and insight on how I looked for references for past projects, whether personal or for school. Typically, I would simply google images and use any references to base my designs or drawing on. For any digital art, I would only use images as small parts, but they still were included; like a background or a small object.

Part B

Being that Shepard Fairey followed a similar process as I did when he was designing his HOPE poster, it makes me more cautious as to where I will be pulling my references for drawing now. Within his case, he did a general search of a photography and modifies it enough to where I would have believed it is practically his own. However, due to the attention and large revenue he created from it, it serves right for the company owning the original photograph to feel as though credit should have been due. Within the case, Fairey explains all the edits and changes he made from the photograph. He explains where he found the original and that the use of it without permission was an ignorant act. However, where he fell into the wrong and ruined his credibility was when he found the origins of the photograph and did not speak up. Instead, he chose to hide this fact and hide any evidence of such on his end. This breaks an AIGA guideline of the responsibility and respect designers must have towards fellow designers and competition. It must be fair.

Citation

Case Study on Fair Use and Fair Dealing: The Hope Poster …, cyber.harvard.edu/people/tfisher/IP/Hope_Poster_Case_Study.pdf. Accessed 26 Apr. 2024.