SUMMER 2021

Introduction to Itay

My name is Itay (pronounced “E-Tie”) Rubin (He/Him). I am a newcomer to the US, after living all my life in Israel. For the past 15 years, before moving to New York, I was a farmer. The last time I formally studied in school was in high school, more than 20 years ago. At that time, we studied without computers, so a lot has changed! I have concerns that we have a lack of human interaction in online courses. The positive aspects of access to online courses are the flexibility they provide. For example, asynchronous classes provide me the ability to do my studies when and where it is most convenient for me.

I chose to major in mechanical engineering because I am drawn to understanding how things work. It was my hearts desire for many years to become a student, and to develop my career in mechanical engineering. I do not typically read because it is easier for me to listen. This is why I usually consume literature in an audio form. My favorite writer is Lior Schleien, an Israeli satire writer who promotes social justice by criticizing political and social issues in Israel. My musical taste is eclectic music from many genres of music around the world. For example, I like traditional Greek music, jazz, and contemporary Israeli music. In my spare time I enjoy being with my family and friends. I also like exploring my surroundings by foot or by bike. I am a people person and enjoy interacting with interesting people that I meet, especially in New York City because it is so diverse.  One of my favorite neighborhoods in NYC is Chinatown, which is why I chose the picture below.  I like this area because it is colorful and has so many tasty treats!

.

Photo of Dragon Dance taken during Chinese New Year 2021

1. Emily Hu

Hi, Italy! I agree with you that New York is extremely diverse. There are so many different cultures, religions, belief, and food all being celebrated within this city. Chinatown is also one of my favorites because despite everything, we can all join together for some great food and colorful decorations.

2. Mark Noonan

Thanks for your fantastic self-introduction Itay. You have many extraordinary interests. Like you, I really enjoy listening to books and podcasts. Hopefully, you’ll find this class sufficiently humane and lively as I try to overcome “the lack of human interaction ” typical of online courses– a point you insightfully raise.