SUMMER 2021

Quote ” Between the World and Me”

“I have seen that dream all my life. It is perfect houses with nice lawns. It is Memorial Day cookouts, block associations, and driveways. The Dream is tree houses and the Cub Scouts. And for so long I have wanted to escape into the Dream, to fold my country over my head like a blanket. But this has never been an option, because the Dream rests on our backs, the bedding made from our bodies.”

This quote hit home. The American dream is to come to America and get the perfect house, family gatherings, all of it but you must  understand how to work the system to possibly get there. There’s so many things that roots from the systematic issues we have  but how do you put food on the table , when all you have is enough to pay for exactly that? People come here searching for opportunities and even though finding a job is known to be “easy” , its a minimum paid job to get you surviving but that’s it. In this quote, he mentions it from his perspective and how the color of his skin affects this ( my assumption ) . It’s the dream for him but the way America is and that includes the injustice, it just doesn’t seem like a dream worth thinking about.

1. Mark Noonan

Another excellent choice of quote and discussion, Shagota.