Maureen Neuringer | COMD 3711 - Section HD30 | Spring 2022

01 Discussion

Each week you will need to respond to a question posted. Your response should be a minimum of 300 words for both questions. You should also include at least one response to your fellow students. The responses are a requirement for participation part of your grade.

Question 01 –

When will you choose Adobe Illustrator ahead of the other Adobe Software? List things you might create with Adobe illustrator.

1. Chris

When it comes to Adobe Illustrator it is the best application to use for vector art. It is best for creating a logo, pattern, icon, illustration, etc. I use Illustrator when creating shapes or patterns due to the versatility and accuracy you have access to such as the rulers, guides, being able to center or place any object right where you want it to be, to have the right symmetry or adjust the weight and color of the stroke without having to go back and make another object from scratch for that one edit unlike most other applications. One is even able to bring in a photograph like in photoshop but rather than touch it up one can trace over and create a vector art based on that photograph which unlike the photograph will not be made of pixels. One of the best features is that being a vector application one can zoom in and out or resize objects without losing quality resulting in blurriness and the need to recreate the object in the new size to make up for it.

2. SongShi Liang

Adobe Illustrator is use for create vector graphic, which the graphic made by point, line, shapes, and curves based on mathematical formulas. When you want to enlarge the graphic. It will not lot the quality, and keep the clarity for the graphic. It will not make the graphic look burly when you scale the graphic in large way. Adobe Illustrator can use for create logo, illustration, book cover, or package design. 

3. SongShi Liang

4. Anchal_Kc

I choose Illustrator on my free times because with this Software, I can create anything I want and it’s easy to use. I can create logos, designs, patterns and even cartoon characters.

• Henry

I would use Adobe Illustrator to create logos and cartoon characters as well because you won’t lose quality when scaling.

5. Henry

I will choose Adobe Illustrator ahead of the other Adobe Software when I want to create artwork that will not lose quality when it comes to scaling. Adobe Illustrator is a program that run-on lines, points, graphs, and the tangent line. Meaning I will never have to worry about losing the detailed work I created in Adobe Illustrator. Adobe Illustrator produces vector art meaning what I mention early. Unlike Adobe Photoshop that runs on pixels which are tiny squares that make up a whole image. If I were to enlarge or scale it down, I would lose pixels or gain pixels. Either way, you will lose quality when it comes to scaling which I believed is called a raster.

Things I will create in Adobe Illustrator are logo, poster, brochure, typography poster, stationery set. The letterhead, envelope, business cards, packaging label design, and dieline. If I were a graphic artist that does drawing like comics or designing visual graphics I would use Adobe Illustrator.

• Anie Yvon

Well, I remember taking an Illustrator course back in community college and done many creative art pieces. I’ve done illustration designs, art posters, brand packaging designs, logo brands, some fashion clothing designs & etc. But comparing Illustrator to Photoshop, from my perspective I feel that photoshop is a more easier software computer design to use than Illustrator because of the fact that I understand the concept behind Photoshop and I’ve mostly use it for many of my class H.W. & projects as well. But, I still want to learn & understand more about Illustrator.

• Maureen Neuringer

What is the advantage of using Illustrator Vector Art?

6. Byron Chamorro

Although Illustrator’s drawing capabilities are very close to Photoshop’s and most times the same tools are used to take care of certain tasks, the main difference between the two softwares, however, is the type of graphics they handle and produce. In contrast to Photoshop, which works with raster graphics that rely on pixels, Illustrator creates cleaner and sharper lines.

Similar goes for the difference between InDesign and Illustrator, InDesign is for multi-page designing and layouts, numbering automation and master pages, and is not as agile nor equipped with the appropriate tools when it comes to designing complex shapes such as a logo, for which the shape-builder tool might be needed.

Nowadays, within the Adobe family, XD is definitely the best tool for designing graphical user interfaces, mockups and such, but for producing assets such as the iconography, Illustrator is definitely the tool that is fully equipped to easily produce such requirements.

In other words, Adobe Illustrator is the most adequate tool for when working with vector graphics, graphics that do not depend on pixels, but rather points, lines, and any shape that is mathematically defined, which in turn can be scaled down to use as favicon on the web, or blown up to be used on a billboard, bus ad, etc.

As noted above, professionals use the software for producing illustrations, logos, icons, pattern design, typeface design, digital lettering, animation assets, brand collaterals, packaging design, and anything that requires flexibility when it comes to scaling without worrying about it losing quality and important details.

• Sadman Hafiz

I agree that the illustrator not using pixels makes it very superior compared to photoshop for creating sharp graphics such as logos and other graphics that requires precise detailing and scaling.

7. joseph asimeng

You can choose adobe illustrator instead of other adobe software, to create anything that is 2 dimensional and just plain vector based, from stuff like posters, symbols, logos, patterns, icons, and other things that other adobe software may not be able to do. You even have the choice to create effects like repetitive text, environmentally green type, peeled text, comic book text, blur, grain, inner glow, drop shadow, roughen and all of those things just as long as it’s once again, 2 dimensional, because that’s probably all of what illustrator is good for.

• Maureen Neuringer

Joe
      The major feature of Illustrator is its ability to be enlarged and reduced without loosing details.

• Byron Chamorro

Great points. However, the effects you mentioned (blur, grain, inner glow, drop shadow, roughen) can also be found in Photoshop and the other Adobe softwares. Also, Illustrator is equipped to handle 3D renditions, it depends on how much your machine can handle, but the software is capable to produce 3D designs.

• joseph asimeng

well that could be facts but i think illustrator could have the capabilities to produce VECTOR 3d designs.