Maureen Neuringer | COMD 3711 | Section D030

01 Discussion

Each week you will need to respond to a question posted. Your response should be a minimum of 150 words for both questions. You should also include at least one response to your fellow students. The responses are a requirement for participation part of your grade.

Question 01 –

When will you choose Adobe Illustrator ahead of the other Adobe Software? List three things you might create with Adobe illustrator.

1. Rezwan Haque

When creating logos, graphics, and working with typography and letters, I will always pick Adobe Illustrator over all other Adobe tools. The reason for this is because when working on logo projects, vector-based files are frequently used because of how easily they can be resized without sacrificing quality, changing the logos’ colors and location. Additionally, it gives creatives complete freedom to express themselves with the many tools available, including the color, shape, and pen tools for creating logos. For more of the same reasons—such as the abundance of flexible tools that enable you to fully express yourself through illustration and creation—illustrations function best with Adobe Illustrator. Additionally, Illustrator would handle illustrations’ vector elements more effectively.

2. xiangyong zeng

Q1, I think when we need to do vector graphics design Adobe Illustrator would be the best choice. The reason why I say this is because vector graphics do not depend on pixels, so some of the graphics done to design logos, logos, icons, fonts, or any graphic that needs to maintain its clarity at different sizes and resolutions can be enlarged indefinitely without blurring, which is crucial for print media and branding. The produced without losing the quality. And adobe’s tools I think are more dynamic it offers a rich set of drawing tools such as pen tools, shape tools and path editors that make it easy to create anything from simple graphics to complex art.

Q2 three things i can create with adobe illustrator. They are logo, character design, and poster

3. Massiel

I will choose to work with adobe illustrator over other adobe software programs when I need to create work that needs to showcase clean crisp art designs. For example logos, typography, drawings, SVGS and more. Vector based art on adobe illustrator can help make art work very flexible to work with. We can easily edit previous projects their dimensions can be resized without the art being distorted. Working with Adobe illustrator is a good idea to use of you need work that will be printed. This is because art work created in illustrator does not get pixilated. I would choose illustrator over Adobe graphics, Adobe fresco, and after affects. Three things I might create with Adobe illustrator are logo designs, icons and illustrations.

4. Romual Germain

I will choose adobe illustrator ahead of all the other adobe software whenever logos, illustrations and working with lettering and typography. The reason for this is because with working on projects for logos they are often vector based because of how easy it can be resized without losing quality , altering the colors and positioning of the logos. And it fully allows creatives to create freely with the amount of tools that help you make logos such as the pen tool, shape tool and color tools. Illustrations work best with adobe illustrator for more of the same reasons such as the versatile amount of tools that help you illustrate and create to the fullest. And the vector aspect of illustrations would work better on illustrator. Lastly, Illustrator is a good platform to work on editing fonts and typography. The ability to change your strokes, lines and adjusting the positioning of letters really gives you the best service in creating other adobe softwares.

5. Sebastian Chapman

I will choose Illustrator over other Adobe software when working with vector art and type that needs to be scaled without losing details and readability. I have also used Illustrator to create 3D assets by using the 3D rendering effects and tools that Illustrator offers on geometric shapes as well as some more organic shapes. I like the texture effects that can be rendered and would like to explore more about this. I will use Illustrator when I am creating assets that need to be scaled infinitely, working to manipulate type by creating outlines, or designing patterns. I have also used Illustrator briefly for illustration but would like to be more comfortable when using the tools and when working directly on a Wacom. I am very curious as well about a lot of the tools that I am not familiar with such as slice, gradients, and the infamous pen tool.

6. Saria Tabassum

I will choose Adobe Illustrator ahead of the other Adobe Software because Illustrator is versatile and can be used for logos, illustrations, typography, packaging, posters and more; it not only is vector based but also easier to use. Particularly to create logos and icons, Illustrator is especially important because it prevents your work from being pixelated and has guides and grids for precise alignment and layout to create a clean logo. Illustrator is more useful because it has a lot of features regarding that since it offers precise control over design, allowing you to play with shapes, lines and typography with accuracy. When you sketch something and want to digitalize it, Illustrator tends to be more flexible compared to other Adobe softwares so I would use Illustrator over other Adobe softwares.

7. HarryChen

I would use illustrator over photoshop when working with vector images and designs that don’t require photo editing. Illustrator allows us to infinitely scale vector files without compromising on the quality. One thing I would create with illustrator are logos. Logos often need to be resized to be placed on bill boards, buildings, merchandise, banners, etc. Another thing I would use illustrator for is when working with shapes and lines as illustrator has more variety of tools over photoshop for creating things such as charts and graphs. Lastly, I would use illustrator for typefaces to create high resolution, clean text without any pixelation.

• Saria Tabassum

I agree! To send your logo design to your client, having high resolution and clear design is important because a pixelated logo can look unprofessional. So ensuring high quality of your design is essential, which is why Illustrator is better to use for logos.

8. Vivian

Adobe Illustrator becomes my preferred tool when creating vector graphics as I can freely resize graphics without unwanted distortion or pixelation. For instance, when designing graphics be it for logo, icon, or even websites, many would do so via sketching first. In such a scenario, I would choose to import said hand drawn sketch into Illustrator because doing so would allow me to locate and refine any imperfections in the sketch. Using the pen tool would ensure that the lines are smooth and the graphic is symmetrical and balanced where it needs to be. The software’s capability for global edits streamlines the design workflow, enabling efficient modifications based on shared attributes such as color or shape. In practical terms, Adobe Illustrator is indispensable when creating logos (which require constant resizing depending on the environment it lives in be it a large billboard or a webpage), icons (which benefit from the software’s ability to maintain consistency in stroke size, color, style, etc.), and website graphics (enhancing user experience for users looking to use said graphics in different environments. Perhaps the environment calls for different canvas sizes or requires the graphic to be in a different color palette so that there’s more contrast when placed against the webpage’s background—for the sake of accessibility and all that jazz). In essence, Illustrator’s strengths in vector design make it my go-to for projects requiring a combination of accuracy, scalability, and efficient editing capabilities.

• Saria Tabassum

I definitely agree with you. When resizing graphics in other Adobe apps, I also encounter issues like distortion or pixelation. Which is why, I prefer using Illustrator since it’s easier to use the pen tool and create a clean design to refine your sketch.

9. Marianna D'Angelo

I will choose Adobe Illustrator ahead of other Adobe softwares because in Adobe Illustrator you can create vector graphics that are best for images, something you can do on Illustrator is you can trace your images and draw by using the pen tool to create anchor points.You can also do many different things like logos, print magazines, and cartoons. I Would probably choose illustrator over photoshop because photoshop uses pixels which sometimes don’t make things very clear. If you want to edit images photoshop is better to use.

10. Tiffany Weintraub

I would choose Adobe Illustrator when creating vector graphics. Vector graphics are digital images based om mathematical formulas instead of pixels. Illustrator is to be chosen when creating original illustrations and artwork that is to be printed. Adobe Illustrator is superior to Adobe Photoshop whenever there is a need to be able to scale artwork for use on a variety of different platforms and printed formats. When scaling artwork with Illustrator, you can re-calibrate to any size, up or down, and still retain all the qualities and sharpness of the original illustration, without pixelation or blurring. With Adobe Illustrator, resolution is never an issue. I would use Illustrator to create the image and then I might use Adobe Photoshop for editing the pre-existing image, as Photoshop has more complex photo editing tools.

Three things I could create with Adobe Illustrator are original illustrations, logos and icons, as well as large graphics such as billboards and signage.

11. Melissa

In my case, Adobe Illustrator is my preferred Adobe software, and many would likely agree due to its versatility and suitability for projects involving printing or vector graphics. It stands out as the go-to tool for precision and scalability, enabling the creation of logos, print media (brochures and posters), and data visualizations. Illustrator’s vector-based approach ensures logos can be resized without compromising quality, a crucial feature in logo design. As for print media, it excels in creating high-quality brochures and posters while supporting the CMYK color mode. Moreover, data visualization benefits significantly from Illustrator’s tools for crafting precise charts and diagrams. Overall, Adobe Illustrator distinguishes itself in diverse design tasks, offering a flexible platform for logos, prints, and data representation. Its strength lies in addressing the complexities of these assignments, making it the preferred choice for many because of its adaptability and precision in various design fields, capturing the essence of creativity and functionality.

12. Emmanuel Agyare-Poku

Regarding utilizing vectors graphics with accurate precision, Adobe Illustrator is the software I place ahead of other softwares. Due to its control over raster images and tools over lines and points, I strongly prefer to use it over most softwares. In addition to its features, Adobe Illustrator allows me to expand further with my projects by allowing my imagination to meet with the possibilities, hand in hand. Adobe Illustrator allows me to properly develop my Logos, Product Labels, and Business Brand Boards. Logos become a lot smoother to develop when I don’t have to worry about distortion, product labels and easier to layout when I can readjust forms without having to redo them, and brand boards are much simpler when I can maintain the structure of the work uniformly. From the pen tool to the points tool I am given multiple ways to expand on my designs beyond their initial planning. All while maintaining the integrity of the visual designs I work on, without any pixelation. Adobe Illustrator provides me with the system and foundations I need to organize my thoughts and process while navigating the necessary tools to complete my projects with ease.

13. Jacqueline Hernandez

I will choose Adobe Illustrator ahead of the other Adobe Software to create designs that need to be made here such as logos, shapes, designs, etc to use with vectors. It gives the ability to illustrations and typography well with one another. It also gives more things to do with lines, shapes, colors, strokes, outlines, and more to do with designs. Another thing is Illustrator has more tools to create with Illustration and type as well. It gives us more to edit with what we can design and improve on.  It is something the other Adobe software can’t do. Three thing I might create with Adobe Illustrator are character faces, environment, and patterns for merchandise. I want to learn what I am capable of doing and progress with what type of designs can be made. From there I can start making small designs I can do for fun and share with others.

• Vivian

Hi Jacqueline,

Regarding your point about creating patterns for merchandise, I think this is such an important aspect you have brought up. Especially when designing for a brand, designers will often reuse the same patterns throughout multiple products to maintain consistency. In that case, the pattern would have to be modified in size or even color sometimes to match whatever theme the product is trying to convey while maintaining that brand’s identity. In such a scenario, Illustrator would be the ideal tool to use.

• xiangyong zeng

Hi Jacqueline, I think you are very well versed in the tools of Illustrator. I very much agree with it you mentioned illustrator offers more with lines, shapes, colors, strokes, outlines, and that’s one thing I think illustrator is more dynamic than other software, maybe it’s just small details but when it comes to really applying it will make me rely on illustrator more.

14. Fahima

When it comes to designing vector based illustrations, Adobe Illustrator is typically preferred above other Adobe software. Three things I will create in Adobe Illustrator are; Logo Design: Logos frequently need to be adaptable and resizable, and Illustrator’s vector format guarantees that the design remains clean and scaleable. Second is web icons and images, Illustrator is useful for creating web images and icons, specifically ones that need flexibility. We as a designers may build icons and images that remain sharp at any number of display resolutions and sizes. Lastly, for printable product Illustrator is commonly used to design printed products such as cards, posters, brochures, and flyers. Vector illustrator provides quality print, also the software supports a wide range of color options and print standard.

• Emmanuel Agyare-Poku

I strongly agree with you.

• Wei Ni

I agree with your statement on designing vector-based illustrations on Adobe Illustrator, I would also choose Illustrator over Photoshop when it comes to working with type since need the text to be vectorized.

15. Wei Ni

Q1: I would choose Illustrator over Photoshop when it comes to working with type, because I would like the type to be vectorized and photoshop will never be as good as illustrator when it comes to text. I would also choose Illustrator over Photoshop when it comes to shapes, because you don’t want pixelated shapes, you want them to have sharp lines and joints and you can achieve that with Photoshop, but Illustrator still remains the better choice. Another thing Illustrator has over Photoshop would be when you are creating vector projects that needs to be scaleable and printable. Its just better than Photoshop in that way.

• Melissa

Hi Wei, 

I agree that Illustrator is excellent for working with typography. I love how it allows precise control over text placement, kerning, and tools such as the Touch Type, Type on a Path, etc.

• Tiffany Weintraub

Hello Wei,

I agree with you about the illustrator shapes. I love that we can bend and warp. Photoshop has shapes, but nobody wants their shapes to be pixelated if they are planning to scale their artwork up and make it way bigger. I also like that you can round out the corners or the shapes and make changes to it if you want to. We don’t have these editing abilities of shapes with Photoshop. All we can do quickly is change the color and style of the shape.

• Marianna D'Angelo

I would also chose Illustrator over photoshop. Because photoshop uses pixels which isn’t the best, and i feel like you can do much more with Illustrator.

• Maureen Neuringer

More description is necessary.