Maureen Neuringer | COMD 1162 - Section D030

10 Discussion

Each week you will need to respond to two questions posted. Your response should be a minimum of 150 words for both questions. You should also include at least one response to your fellow students. The responses are a requirement for participation part of your grade.

Question 01 –

Describe four kinds of Selection tools in Photoshop.

Question 02 –

Which Selection Tool picks only solid colors?

1. Zekirah

Question 01 –

Marque tool which slows you to select a shape similar to its size and form. Magnetic lasso tool which automatically latches onto an image. Polygonal lasso tool allows you to manually create a selection of the part of the image you want to work on or change. Magic wand makes the selection automatically around an image but it may not be great for certain images where it won’t get every part of it.

Question 02 –

The Magic wand only picks solid colors. It can’t pick up colors that has so many variations of shades thus limiting it to certain images to use this on.

2. Isiahm

Question 1- The first type of selection is the rectangle marque tool which selects everything in a rectangle you highlight. The magnetic lasso tool traces around something similar to the pen tool and selects everything within the area you outline. The magic wand tool selects things based on the colour similarities between them. Lastly, the object selection tool which uses A. I to make a selection based on the borders of an object.

Question 2- The magic wand tool selects solid colours or colours similar to the one that you select initially. The colours are pixel-based as this is a raster-based program

3. Miguel

Question 1-

four kinds of selection tools that can be used in photoshop would be Marquee tool that is used to drag around shapes and selections, Object Selection tool to select the whole image, Quick Selection Tool to select an area of an image and finally the Magic Wand tool to select an area based on the colors

Question 02 –

The Selection tool that picks only solid colors would be the magic wand tool. It simply selects whatever pixels (to my knowledge) and whatever solid color there is, that is what will be selected by the tool. It is not very good when there is a wide selection of colors, but nonetheless it is very useful

4. Amy

Question 01 –

The four kinds of selection tool in photoshop are Rectangular, Elliptical,(these all have to do with shape selection), Object Selection and Quick Selection(I would say these counts as one under the same selection tool section), and Magic Wand.The Rectangular selection tool helps you select rectangular shapes in a image, the shortcut to this tool is M. The Elliptical selection tool helps you select the circular shapes in the image. The Object Selection helps you select the shape out of a certain object, meanwhile the Quick Selection tool helps you quickly select an whole area. The Magic Wind helps you make selections based on colors, you pick any color in an image, and it will help you quickly select similar colors in the image.

Question 02 –

The magic wand tool picks out only solid colors. It helps save you so much time that you won’t need to select all the colors you want one by one.

5. Amy

Discussion 9

Question 01 –

Describe two different selection tools and how they work.

There’s two different select tools on Adobe Photoshop, one is object selection tool and the other is quick selection tool. The object selection tool helps with selecting the object when the form of it is irregular. Meanwhile, if the object’s shape is easy to select out, then that’s when the quick selection tool comes handy.

Question 02 –

How do you use the brush to paint over cut spots? How do you use the eraser to remove cut spots? What color does the brush paint with? What color does the eraser erase to?

If the background of the cut spots is not white, then you could use the color drop tool and get the same color as the background, and you can color it in to fix the cut spot. If the background is white, then things would be easy to fix. All you need to do is use the eraser and erase the cut spots. There’s a bunch of colors that you can use with the brush paint, you can even make your own shade you want. The eraser erases whatever color is on that specific layer.

6. Sandra

Question 01 –

• Magic wand: The magic wand tool allows users to conveniently select solid colors in their project. Users are also able to adjust its sensitivity to the pixel shades by changing the tool’s tolerance. A higher tolerance means it will be less sensitive and is able to allow more to be selected. In contrast, a lower tolerance means it will be more picky about which pixels to include in the selection.
    • Magnetic Lasso: I find the magnetic lasso really helpful and easy to use since it’s able to snap to edges quickly to identify my selection. I also like how I’m able to go back on my steps when I make a mistake— if I click delete, it gets rid of the previous point; and if I use esc, the entire selection is canceled.
    • Rectangular Marquee: This tool allows users to select areas in a rectangular shape.
    • Elliptical Marquee: The elliptical marquee selects areas in an oval shape. It’s similar to the rectangular marquee in which they both allow the user to select in a defined shape.

Question 02 –

The magic wand tool selects solid colors based on pixels. It allows the user to quickly select an area of similarly shaded pixels that create a solid face. Users can adjust how sensitive the tool is to the varying shades by changing its tolerance.

7. felix

Question 01 –Describe four kinds of Selection tools in Photoshop.

Selection tools are tools you can use in photoshop to select a specific image or object within the photo during the editing process.

Lasso Tool- It allows you to freehand draw selection. If you let go of it before finishing the shape it will create a straight line in the first end and the last end

Quick selection tool – Allows you to isolate an object by clicking and dragging over the area to make an auto selection. Useful for quickly cutting out and editing selection without the need for freehand selection.

Magic Wand tool – it selects pixels based on similarity of colors and tone of the image. It works best with simple shapes and backgrounds. 

Path selection tool – it allow you to quickly select paths and to move/edit objects

Question 02 –Which Selection Tool picks only solid colors?

The selection tool that picks up only solid color is the magic wand tool. The magic wand tool is designed for selecting similar areas of color or tone in images with ease.It is a versatile tool for creating masks, making adjustments to specific parts of an image and selecting objects you want to isolate. 

8. riiiichord

Question 01 –

As mentioned in our last discussion, Photoshop proves a range of very convenient selection tools such as the Magic Wand and the Marquee tool. Some other selection tools that you are able to use are the Quick Selection tool, the Lasso tool, the Magnetic Lasso tool, and the Polygonal Lasso. Unlike the Magic Wand that only selects a certain color, the Quick Selection allows you to select similar colors and tones as you drag along a part of the image you want selected. For the Lasso tool, you have more freedom in deciding the shape of the selection as you click and drag with your mouse like a brush. The Polygonal Lasso tool is like adding stakes onto your rope to hold it in place as you continue your selection till you wrap around to the starting point. Similarly to both, the Magnetic Lasso tool also works in the same way, however, your “lasso” automatically latches closely onto an edge of an image and can be dragged around it using the polygonal lines just like the Polygonal Lasso tool.

Question 02 –

Now using the knowledge we obtained from the previous question and discussion, we know now that the Magic Wand is the right tool for selecting a solid color since it only selects a color its surrounding areas that share the same value/color.

• Raesa

These are really great explanations Richard! You worded things in a much more understandable way and it honestly helped me further my current knowledge.

• felix

Hey Richard, how are you so good at explaining in these discussion questions. i really like how you always go in depth in your explanation which I find it so helpful for my learning and understanding!

• Amy

Richard always rocking his discussions, helping us understand the topic so much clearer!

• Miguel

Really easy to understand. Thank you for typing this, it helps a lot !

9. Auribel Vargas Pena

Question 01 –

• Today during class we’ve learn about the four kinds of selections in Photoshop. First we have the Rectangle Marquee Tool, which makes a rectangular selection over your subject. Next we have the Ellipse Marquee Tool, which just as the rectangle tool, it allows you to make a oval selection around your subject. You can drag objects around with these tools. Third, there is the Single Row Marquee Tool, and it makes a single row selection around the subject and it allows you to cut a wee bit of a picture. Last we have the Single Column Marquee tool which works with the same functions as the single row marquee tool just that instead of a row, it is a column.

Question 02 –

The selection tool that picks only solid colors is called the Magic Wand. With it you can also adjust the tolerance to determine how similars the colors can be. If you have a high tolerance means more variation, while a low tolerance means that each pixel of your picture needs to be nearly the same color. This tool is also excellent to select objects from against a solid color in the background.

• riiiichord

I completely overlooked the different Marquee tools. I didn’t even know about the rows that you can choose, too. Thank you for the pointers!

10. Sandra Saeteros

There is the lasso tool, magnetic Lasso Tool, Magic Wand Tool and Rectangular  Marquee Tool. They are all useful to trace over a shape more precisely rather than using  the magic wand that only selects colors that are similar to each other or the area close to it. The magnetic selecting tool is also very helpful since it attaches to the color, it’s easier to guide rather than using a free hand selection tool.

The Object Selection Tool picks only solid colors and is a Magic Wand Tool. It allows you to quickly have areas selector that have colors that are close to each other. It makes it easier to select areas but sometimes it can fail to pick up other colors and there will be the need to keep selecting the area.

• Auribel Vargas Pena

Hello Sandra! thank you for reminding me about which tool picks the solid colors only. I honestly forgot for a second but thanks to you I know and I made sure to annotate it. Thank you so much!

11. Raesa

Question 01 – Describe four kinds of Selection tools in Photoshop.

The 4 different selection tools in Photoshop consist of a ton of different tools but I’ll explain the Lasso tool, Magic wand, Quick select tool, and Magnetic lasso. I already previously explained a few of these on our past discussion post but I believe I have a better understanding now. Firstly, the short cuts for each tool I mentioned: Lasso, Magnetic lasso (L), Magic wand, Quick select tool (W). Moving on, the lasso tool simply traces over wherever you drag your cursor over. Doing this will cut out the selected area (copy, move, etc.) Meanwhile the Magnetic lasso will attach itself to whatever object it’s able to track as you move your cursor around, this allows you to quickly cut out an object without having to perfectly surround it with a normal lasso. Next, the Magic wand, this tool will immediately select any object with just a single click, this is a very efficient way to quickly select your object(s)! Lastly, the Quick select tool, as it is mentioned in its name, this tool allows you to quickly select a coherent object, you just have to click inside the desired object. These tools are all quite similar in all honesty.

Question 02 – Which Selection Tool picks only solid colors?

The selection tool that only selects solid colors would be the Magic wand. I believe this tool usually selects pixels within a similar color range. The Magic wands quite manageable and flexible as you can personally adjust the tolerance of the wand including the color range itself. I found this tool to work best when there is a solid color but that might be mutual with a majority of the selection tools!

• Sandra Saeteros

I like the explanation of every lasso tool, is simple and straight foward!

• Sandra

Thanks for including the shortcuts to them! I find it very helpful to switch between tools using shortcuts when you’re using them often.