Maureen Neuringer | COMD 1162 - Section D030

01 Discussion

Each week you will need to respond to two questions posted. Your response should be a minimum of 150 words for both questions. You should also include at least one response to your fellow students. The responses are a requirement for participation part of your grade.

Question 01 –

You need to create a logo that will be used in various applications for a client. What application Illustrator or Photoshop would you choose?

Question 02 –

Why would you make that choice?

1. Michael Lester

Question: 1

If tasked with the job of creating a logo to be used across multiple applications, I would opt to utilize Illustrator.

Question: 2

The reason that I would use Illustrator is mainly because of how familiar I am with the program as opposed to Photoshop. Preferability aside, when it comes to creating logos that will be used in various applications and platforms, you would want to utilize a vector file as they are better suited for this task and have numerous benefits. The most notable feature of a vector is its ability to retain its quality when resized which is very handy when composing digital media. Also, with vector files, sizes are much smaller so space would not end up becoming an issue since you can easily convert your assets from illustrator into an SVG file. In addition to that, the vast editorial nature of Illustrator is much easier to get a grasp of and utilize when compared to Photoshop.

2. Erik

A 01: I would preferably choose to use Adobe Illustrator

A 02: Mainly because I’m already very comfortable with it and can create clean illustrations of my artwork. Upon making lines, I can establish points in order for it to curve without it appearing as if there was hesitation. One of my favorite tools to use on Adobe Illustrator is its ability to texturize my work as a tiled mosaic and brushed. Those two are a given but there are plenty more. The reason why I do not choose Adobe Photoshop is because the only times I’ve been instructed to use it is for animation projects and creating mock up magazine covers. Also to wrap and play with the dimensions of fonts which is pretty helpful but I personally haven’t been able to equip it to any of my artwork. If the client wants me to create and explore a new version of the font then I will.

• Maureen Neuringer

Yes all of that is true but you missed the important pint. Vector work can be enlarged without losing clarity. You cannot do that in Photoshop because it it raster or pixel based.

3. Erik Jimenez

4. Frantasia Sanz

I need to create a logo that will be used in various applications for a client. What application Illustrator or Photoshop would I choose? I would choose Adobe photoshop to construct the concept of the logo, and organize it in an efficient format to completely satisfy the client’s request, that includes pixel level control and complex image manipulation, which is important for designing digitally, and being raster based rather than vector based.

Why would I make that choice? I made the choice for the convenience of developing my design for my client and for the positive outcomes and benefits of my work as well, Adobe Photoshop is my first choice rather than Adobe Illustrator exactly for this reason.

• Maureen Neuringer

Reread material. You have not described the elements of vector art.

5. Virmel Morales

Question 1:

If I was to make a logo that would be used in various applications for a client, I would use Illustrator than Photoshop. Adobe Illustrator is a vector-based program. Vector-based software like Adobe Illustrator offers a wide range of tools and effects that encourage creativity and variation in design. By experimenting with different blending modes, applying gradients, and adjusting anchor points, designers may easily generate desired visual effects. Illustrators (vector) can create crisp, clean images with well-defined edges and flowing curves, enabling you to precise command over colors, lines, and forms. Additionally, vector formats are the better choice for digital communication since they require less file storage and bandwidth than raster formats. So with all of this, it would help us improve to make other than photoshop because is more like for editing.

Question 2:

I would make this choice because adobe illustrator excels in handling typography and is often preferred fir projects requiring extensive text manipulation and layout design but cold also be used more than just logos maybe for a drawing you made and want to make it more define.

• Erik

I agree, Adobe Illustrator can create clean vector graphics and refine it. It also is easier to save work from computer to computer because it allows you to save it on the cloud. Whereas on photoshop you must save it to a flash drive or email it to yourself but components could be missing when opening it.

6. Virmel Morales

We can work with raster or vector formats. While some may prefer to use vector format, the majority of people would go for raster format. Considering what I’ve read in the Raster vs. Vector notes, I think the vector format is the better option. Scalability without compromising quality is crucial for numerous creative applications, including graphics, logos, illustrations, and icons, and vectors offer exactly that. Vector-based software like Adobe Illustrator offers a wide range of tools and effects that encourage creativity and variation in design. By experimenting with different blending modes, applying gradients, and adjusting anchor points, designers may easily generate desired visual effects. Illustrators (vector) can create crisp, clean images with well-defined edges and flowing curves, enabling you to precise command over colors, lines, and forms. Additionally, vector formats are the better choice for digital communication since they require less file storage and bandwidth than raster formats. Considering everything, the vector/illustrator format would be considered an better option essential to communication design because it provides the efficiency, precision, and flexibility needed for effective visual communication. Others might have another opinion in this but it all come downs to “Raster Vs Vector”.

7. felix

If I needed to create a logo for a client that would be used in various applications for a client, I would most likely use Illustrator over Photoshop. Illustrator is a vector-based software meaning logos created in Illustrator can be scaled to any size without losing quality which is crucial as logos need to be versatile and adaptable for different applications. Illustrator also offers a range of design tools and features specifically tailored for creating and manipulating vector graphics such as the pen tool/ shape builder tool and also tools to better work with typography. While Photoshop does offer some vector capabilities, it is more geared toward image editing and manipulation making it less intuitive for logo design

8. Sandra

Question 01 –

For a logo, I would use Illustrator in opposed to Photoshop mainly because Photoshop is more for editing rather than designing or creating. Although some basic tools and functions of both programs are shared, it’s evident through others that Illustrator supports building pieces from scratch whereas Photoshop allows for smooth modifications of an existing project. For example, one of the main tools—and one that most students are exposed to first—in Illustrator is the pen tool. This tool allows users to swiftly and precisely create lines and shapes, which are a strong base for designs. On the other hand, the main highlights of Photoshop include a wide range of selection tools. These selection tools, such as marquees and wands, make it easier for users to pinpoint and designate specific areas of the image to edit. Therefore, since I would not be making changes to pre-existing graphics for a logo, I would choose to use Illustrator.

Question 02 –

Why would you make that choice?

One reason I would decide on Illustrator is because of the difference in the two program’s purposes, as I explained in the first question. Illustrator is more for creating while Photoshop is for editing. In addition to this, another reason to use Illustrator is that Illustrator is a vector program. This means it is capable of scaling the graphics so that no matter how far we zoom in or out of the piece, its edges will stay clean and sharp. The visuals of the graphic will remain the same regardless of how much it’s resized to fit different canvases. In contrast, Photoshop is a raster software, which means the image is not adjusted as we resize. If we enlarge the image enough, we can see the pixels of color that make up the whole. This would not be ideal in the case of creating logos since logos should be flexible and change according to the size and shape of the canvas. It wouldn’t be ideal to have an unclear graphic once it’s resized.

• felix

I totally agree with your points. I really liked how you touched upon both of the applications and their specific uses to back up your argument on why you think one is more suitable than the other for creating logos.

9. riiiichord

Question 01 –

Using Illustrator sounds like the ideal option for creating a logo. A logo is something that will be used for display, especially on products, so it will have to be scaled differently quite often. Illustrator is also widely known for being used in business creativity as its vector-based program makes it easy to edit safely without loss in quality and can be viewed through PDFs if a client would like to see it. Additionally, all of its tools are geared toward making perfect shapes and smooth lines for the logo. Not only that, Illustrator supports transparency, so any product that the logo will be placed on can be viewed through Illustrator!

Question 02 –

Adobe Illustrator is a special program made for business. Most, if not all, businesses rely on print to be able to spread their company image as part of their advertisement plan. Illustrator has the necessary tools on top of being vector-based to make it easy to design logos and other products without the worry of losing any quality in sharpness or smoothness if the scale is not right. If we were to use Photoshop, it would be possible to create a logo, but it would be difficult to apply it in a variety of ways because of its fixed resolution and restriction on pixels. Therefore, Illustrator is ideal when it comes to logo creation as well as its flexibility in product usage.

10. Isiahm

If a client requires me to make a logo for them illustrator would be my go-to application. Photoshop could also be considered if you would prefer to draw the logo though. I’ve drawn in Photoshop and It works relatively well. For the most part, illustrator is the software one would go to for creating new assets as it has the most options for it there and allows for the most adjustments as well. Unless the client supplies you with photos to use you may have to use photos on the Internet for the logo and that could come with a bunch of copyright issues they need to resolve in order to be able to use the logo. In illustrator all the assets you create are yours and can’t be claimed by anyone but you. All though the choice of what software may come down to the client as well but for the most part illustrator should be used for the creation of logos

11. Raesa

Question 01 —

If I were to make a logo that would be used in various applications for a client, I would use Illustrator. Illustrator is commonly known as best for scalable vector graphics. On the other hand, photoshop is best used for pixel based raster graphics. Based off my own personal experience it’s best to use photoshop to edit photos rather than creating a logo. I will always prefer illustrator for logo design (other than Figma). To continue with my personal preference, I feel most comfortable using Adobe illustrator professionally. 

Question 02

To add on to my points made on the previous question, Illustrator would be a better choice as it helps scale images better than Photoshop would, since Illustrator is mainly used for vector graphics as I mentioned above. In terms of quality throughout multiple platforms as this client will be using, vectors keep quality despite size and application, so Illustrator would fit best in almost every scenario. Alongside this illustrator has a wide range of file exporting options which once again would help the client in the scenario as they’re putting the logo on multiple applications. 

• riiiichord

Definitely! Just like Figma, many programs take after Illustrator purely for business creativity, which shows just how fit for the job Adobe Illustrator is for creating things such as logos.

12. Amy

Question 01 –

You need to create a logo that will be used in various applications for a client. What application, Illustrator or Photoshop would you choose?

If I need to create a logo that will be used in various applications for a client, I would use Illustrator to create the logo. If I had to use simply one word to describe each software, Illustrator is create, and Photoshop is edit. Illustrator is the ideal software/app to create your designs and have a little fun messing around to find good ideas for your project. Photoshop is just adding onto pre-existing images and editing things, it’s an edit app instead of a design app for creating logos.

Question 02 –

Why would you make that choice?

I would use Illustrator not only because I could create logos with it, I could make illustrations, cartoons, images, web designs, posters and flyers, etc.

If I were to use Photoshop, that would mean I’ll have to combine images together, do photo adjustments, add contrast, add double exposure effects. And web designers mainly use that as a tool to create their work, it wouldn’t work as effectively for us as the ones creating the logo.

• Raesa

I really like how you summarized Illustrator and Photoshop into one word each. I agree with essentially most, if not all, said here!

13. Miguel

Question 01 –

To be fair, I would use Adobe Illustrator just because of how simple and since due to the fact that personally, I think creativity shines when using this program. Not only are you able to turn it into a pdf file to share with the client, but also because Illustrator is better for making simple or complicated designs while photoshop is mostly used for photos.

Question 02 –

Why would you make that choice?

As stated above, I feel as if it is way easier to send multiple variations out to a client since Vector Designs are usually low in size. Also because of the fact that since this logo is going to be used in many places, no matter if you enlarge or shrink the photo you wont have to worry about the size or resolution.

Miguel Ruiz

• Michael Lester

I also agree that Illustrator is really simple to use!

14. Naglaa

Question 01:

You need to create a logo that will be used in various applications for a client. What application, Illustrator or Photoshop, would you choose?

I have created a logo before and used Illustrator, so I will choose Illustrator. because I think it’s easy to use and will help with clean lines, text, and shapes. Also, it’s easy to edit the designs. and I think that is very important because sometimes clients may request changes, and Illustrator makes it easy to adjust things without ruining the quality of the logo because we need the logo to look good everywhere.

Question 02:

Why would you make that choice?

I believe that Photoshop is not the best choice for logos because Photoshop uses pixels to make images, and that can make logos lose quality when resized. Logos need to look good, big or small and have good quality. On the other hand, Illustrator uses vectors, which keep the logo clean no matter how big or small you make it. and this makes the logo look great everywhere, makes your clients happy, and takes less time.

15. soraya forrester

To create a logo that will be used in applications for a client, the application I would use is illustrator.I would choose illustrator because it creates vector graphics.Illustrator is versatile and can be used for a wide range of design tasks.Images and graphics can be made of lines, shapes and curves rather than pixels which is perfect for creating any logo.Photoshop is more for tasks like photo editing rather than creating logos.Illustrator allows editing of shapes, paths, and colors, which is essential for logo design where quality matters.

• Isiahm

I agree with Soraya I had the same thoughts on the question. Vectors can be recoloured and resized to fit whatever the client needs it too be more easily than a photo logo.

• Amy

I definitely agree with you, Illustrator is used for a wide range of design tasks while photoshop is used to edit. Therefore, Illustrator is obviously a better option.

16. Auribel Vargas Pena

Question #1.

• To create a logo that will be used in many applications for a client. Adobe Illustrator is going to be my go-to app when it comes to creating these types of illustrations. Illustrator is a well-known vector-based editing software. Apart from my expertise level (beginner) level using this graphic design program, it offers you much more creative power, enabling you to create any image from scratch for any business and bring your ideas to life.

Question #2

• As mentioned above: Adobe Illustrator is a vector-based program. This means that your images can be sized/scaled to any degree: small, medium, or large (depending on you and/or the client’s preference) without losing any quality. Making it an essential program. This is because the designs are created with points, lines, and curves, not pixels like Photoshop does, which can cause trouble later because raster images will lose resolution when scaled. The designs made in Illustrator can also be edited by any other graphic design applications. This is why I would choose Illustrator as the right app to design a logo.
    • Miguel

I totally agree with what you’ve mention in your second response. Bringing up the scaling with Raster based programs like Photoshop is a good idea to mention when making a design. I feel as if that is overlooked just because of easily you can forget about it.